Rock Hill, S.C. – Lily Dempsey set a new season-high in kills, while Madison Haake added a double-double, as the USC Upstate volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision on the road Saturday afternoon in conference play against the Winthrop Eagles at the Winthrop Coliseum.
USC Upstate falls to 11-16 overall and 6-6 in the Big South while Winthrop improves to 12-12 on the season and 8-4 in conference play.
The Eagles won the match by scores of 25-22, 21-25, 25-18 and 25-20.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans finished with a season-high 16.0 blocks and marks the 11th time this year they have posted double-digit blocks in a match.
- Dempsey led USC Upstate offensively with 17 kills and also achieved a new career-high defensively with 10 blocks including nine assisted.
- Dempsey's 17 kills increases her consecutive match streak with double-figure kills to seven straight.
- Haake recorded her 15th double-double of the season, and 63rd of her career, on 39 assists and 14 digs.
- Haake was one of four players to collect double-digit digs along with Payton Duncan (17), Mikenzie Young-Mullins (12) and Lauren Phillips (11).
- Gloria Ikenegbu added nine kills, hitting a team-high .250, and nine total blocks on two solo and seven assisted.
- Phoebe Wu led Winthrop with a double-double of 13 kills and 17 digs while Lourdes Rosario and Siani Yamaguchi also contributed double-doubles.
- Carlie Skelton led all players with 23 digs.
- The match featured 19 ties and nine lead changes.
- Set One: USC Upstate opened the match on a 5-1 run and took a four-point lead off a kill by Dempsey. Winthrop cut the lead down to one but the Spartans would go back ahead by four, 14-10, on McKenna Kirkpatrick's kill. An Eagle attack error gave USC Upstate its largest lead of the set at 16-11. The Spartans later led 20-16 off another Winthrop attack error. The Eagles closed out the set on a 9-2 run to win 25-22.
- Set Two: USC Upstate captured the first three points and led 3-0 on a combination block from Dempsey and Ikenegbu. Winthrop then evened the score and used a 9-5 run to go ahead 14-10 after a kill. The Spartans responded with an 8-2 run and took the lead back at 18-16 on a kill by Dempsey. The Eagles got as close as 20-19 but USC Upstate finished on a 5-2 run to capture the set 25-21 after a combination block from Dempsey and Ikenegbu.
- Set Three: Winthrop started the set on a 6-1 run and held a 9-3 advantage early forcing the Spartans into a timeout. USC Upstate responded with an 8-4 run and trailed 13-11 after Dempsey's kill and an Eagle attack error. Winthrop scored 10 of the next 14 points and led 23-15 on a kill. The Spartans got as close as five, 23-18, after recording three straight points capped by a kill from Ikenegbu. The Eagles scored the last two points for the 25-18 victory.
- Set Four: The teams exchanged the first 12 points before Dempsey's kill gave USC Upstate a 7-6 lead. Trailing 11-8, the Spartans ran off four consecutive points to take a 12-11 lead capped by back-to-back kills from Ikenegbu and Dempsey. Winthrop came back with a 10-4 run and held a 21-16 advantage as USC Upstate was forced to call a timeout. The Spartans came out of the timeout and cut their deficit down to 22-20 off a kill from Ikenegbu. The Eagles posted the final three points for the 25-20 set win and 3-1 match victory.
- USC Upstate plays its final two home matches of the season next weekend, Nov. 2-3, against Campbell and Hampton.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).