Spartanburg, S.C. – Christina Biggerstaff threw a complete game shutout, while Alicia Dorgan and Brittany Case both had two RBI, as the second-seeded USC Upstate softball team opened play at the Big South Softball Championship on Thursday afternoon with a 5-0 victory over the No. 6 seed Radford Highlanders at Campbell's Amanda Littlejohn Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 41-13 on the season while Radford falls to 24-33 overall.
- Bottom 4th – Dorgan gave the Spartans a 2-0 lead in the fourth on her two-RBI single down the left field line. Case and Riley Sheehy both scored on the single as Sheehy was pinch-running for Alyssa Oakes, who walked to lead off the inning, and Case reached on a single.
- Bottom 5th – USC Upstate added two more runs on a two-RBI double to left center field by Case and extended its lead to 4-0. Oakes and Kayla Hussey both came home on Case's double. Hussey led off the inning with a single while Oakes drew a walk.
- Bottom 6th – Sarah Price made it a 5-0 game for the Spartans with her two-out RBI single to center field that brought home Marisa Soterakis. Soterakis pinch-ran for Madison Lanoux after she was hit by a pitch to start the inning.
- Biggerstaff (26-4) recorded her 25th complete game of the season, and 14th shutout, to earn the win allowing five hits on no walks and nine strikeouts.
- Kayla Huffman (11-16) suffered the loss pitching six innings and gave up five runs on seven hits, four walks and six strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff ties Hannah Alexander (2012) for the fifth-most wins in a season in school history.
- Biggerstaff also becomes the second player in program history, joining Hall of Famer Morgan Childers, to register 250 strikeouts in a season.
- Case and Dorgan led USC Upstate offensively with two hits and two RBI apiece.
- Hussey tied Case and Dorgan for the team-lead with two hits.
- Price went 1-for-4 with one RBI.
- Oakes drew three walks for the fourth time this season.
- Sofia Tapia went 2-for-3 for the Highlanders.
- The Spartans advance to the winner's bracket of the Big South Softball Championship and faces top-seeded Longwood on Friday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).