Greenville, S.C. – Alyssa Oakes set the school single-season RBI record, and USC Upstate recorded its 40th win of the season, as the Spartan softball team concluded their regular season on Wednesday evening sweeping a doubleheader over the Furman Paladins at Pepsi Softball Stadium.
The Spartans improve to 40-13 on the season while Furman drops to 11-32 overall. USC Upstate compiles its sixth 40-win season in the last seven years dating back to 2013.
The Spartans swept the Paladins by scores of 7-1 in game one and 11-3 in five innings during game two.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 7, FURMAN 1
- Top 1st – USC Upstate brought in two runs during the top of the first to take a 2-0 lead. Oakes began the scoring with her RBI single off the center field wall. Sarah Price scored after leading off the game with a bunt single and went to second on Makenna Helton's single. Helton later scored on a double steal.
- Top 3rd – The Spartans extended their lead to 4-0 after scoring twice on RBI singles by Brittany Case and Kristen Wright. Helton scored on Case's single while Case later came home on the single by Wright.
- Top 5th – USC Upstate added two more runs to go in front 6-0. Megan Obier crossed home plate following an RBI infield single by Wright. Wright and Savannah Grigsby later executed a double steal of second and home.
- Top 7th – Alicia Dorgan made it a 7-0 game after hitting her sixth home run of the season, a solo blast, to left center field.
- Bottom 7th – The Paladins cut their deficit to 7-1 in the bottom of the seventh on a solo home run by Marissa Guimbarda.
- Christina Biggerstaff (25-4) earned the win after throwing her 24th complete game of the season giving up only one run on three hits, no walks and 13 strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff recorded her eighth appearance this season with 10 or more strikeouts and is now tied for sixth-most wins in a season with Holly McKinnon (2016, 2017).
- Emily DeMonte (9-15) suffered the loss allowing seven runs on 13 hits, one walk and three strikeouts in a complete game effort.
- Price, Helton, Obier and Wright all had a team-high two hits for the Spartans.
- Helton scored a game-high two runs.
- Oakes, Case, Wright and Dorgan recorded one RBI each.
- Guimbarda led Furman with two hits and one RBI.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 11, FURMAN 3 (5)
- Top 1st – For the second straight game, USC Upstate opened by scoring two runs and went ahead 2-0. Oakes plated Price with her RBI sacrifice fly to right center field while Helton scored after Case was thrown out trying to steal second.
- Top 3rd – The Spartans scored five runs in the top of the third and increased their lead to 7-0. Dorgan highlighted the inning with a three-run home run to left field, her seventh of the season and second of the day. In the prior at-bat, Obier drove in Price and Oakes with her two-RBI double to left field.
- Bottom 3rd – The Paladins answered by scoring three runs and trimmed the USC Upstate lead down to 7-3. Tess Griswold had an RBI single while Guimbarda drew an RBI bases loaded walk and Morgan Smith registered an RBI ground out.
- Top 4th – The Spartans followed with four runs of their own to take an 11-3 lead. Dorgan contributed a two-RBI single to right field while Obier also had an RBI single to right field. Case started the scoring with her RBI sacrifice fly to center field.
- Erin Hill (14-9) received the win pitching three innings and gave up three runs on four hits, one walk and no strikeouts.
- Celina Sullivan pitched two scoreless innings of relief and allowed one hit while striking out one.
- Mackense Greico (2-12) took the loss surrendering seven runs on three hits, five walks and no strikeouts in three innings of work.
- Oakes became the school's single-season RBI record holder by recording her 73rd of the year and breaks the 23-year old record set by Stacey Berrong in 1996.
- Dorgan had a career-high five RBI to lead USC Upstate offensively and compiled two hits.
- Dorgan was one of three players, along with Helton and Obier, to have two hits.
- Obier went 2-for-3 with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Price scored a game-high three runs while Helton and Oakes both added two runs scored.
- Cammy Pereira and Lauren Duggar tallied two hits each for Furman while three different players had one RBI.
- The Spartans are off until May 8-11 when they travel to Buies Creek, N.C. for the Big South Softball Championship.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).