Rock Hill, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team began its three-game Big South series against the Winthrop Eagles on Saturday afternoon winning the opener 5-2 at Terry Field. The second game of the series was halted in the top of the sixth and will resume on Monday.
The Spartans improve to 38-11 on the season while Winthrop falls to 21-22 overall and 10-9 in Big South play.
Game two of the series was halted in the top of the sixth inning due to inclement weather with the Eagles leading 7-6.
- Top 2nd – USC Upstate struck first for two runs and took a 2-0 lead over Winthrop. Kristen Wright got the scoring started for the Spartans plating Brittany Case, who led off the inning with a single, on an RBI single to center field. Sarah Price later drew an RBI bases loaded walk. Megan Obier scored after reaching on an infield single and went to third on a ground out and single.
- Top 3rd – Alicia Dorgan extended the Spartans lead to 3-0 with her RBI ground out. Alyssa Oakes scored after starting the inning with a single to right field and moved to third on Case's walk and a sacrifice bunt from Obier.
- Top 4th – Price scored from third base after a throwing error by Winthrop on a double-steal attempt as USC Upstate went ahead 4-0. After the first two batters were retired, Price reached on a single and advanced to third on Makenna Helton's single.
- Top 6th – Helton made it a 5-0 game on her RBI double into the left center field gap. Riley Sheehy came home after reaching on an infield single and went to second on Kayla Hussey's sacrifice bunt.
- Bottom 6th – The Eagles trimmed their deficit down to 5-2 in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI single from Keleigh Romine and a wild pitch.
- Christina Biggerstaff (24-3) earned the win throwing a complete game, her 22nd of the season, and allowed two runs on two hits, four walks and seven strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff moves into a tie for eighth place with Kristy Middagh (2002) for wins in a season.
- Kiley Majette (6-12) took the loss giving up five runs (four earned) on eight hits, five walks and nine strikeouts in a complete game effort.
- Helton led the Spartans offensively going 2-for-4 with one RBI.
- Price, Dorgan and Wright each contributed one RBI.
- Six different players recorded one hit apiece for USC Upstate while five scored one run.
- Romine and Morgan Lowers had one hit each for Winthrop while Romine collected one RBI.
- The Spartans and Eagles will resume game two of the series on Monday afternoon at 4 p.m. with the finale to follow 20 minutes later.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).