Charleston, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team closed out its three-game series with the Charleston Southern Buccaneers on Saturday by dropping the final two games at CSU Ballpark.
The Spartans fall to 22-26 on the season and 8-15 in Big South play while Charleston Southern improves to 20-31 overall and 10-14 in the conference.
The Buccaneers swept the doubleheader finale by scores of 9-4 and 12-4.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 4, CHARLESTON SOUTHERN 9
- Bottom 1st – Charleston Southern took the early 1-0 lead in the first on an RBI single by Ryan Stoudemire.
- Top 2nd – Jeff Taylor cleared the bases with two outs on his three-RBI double and gave USC Upstate a 3-1 lead.
- Bottom 2nd – The Buccaneers answered by scoring twice to tie the game at 3-3 on an RBI single from Brooks Bryan while Josh Litchfield reached on a throwing error.
- Bottom 3rd – Jason Miller gave Charleston Southern the lead back at 5-3 with his two-run home run.
- Bottom 5th – The Buccaneers extended their lead to 7-3 in the fifth after scoring twice on a solo home run by Stoudemire and RBI double from Max Ryerson.
- Bottom 7th – Litchfield hit a two-run homer as Charleston Southern made the score 9-3.
- Top 9th – The Spartans put the score at 9-4 when Jason Matthews reached on a fielding error that allowed Julian Rip to score.
- Cam Weinberger (4-3) picked up the win throwing 5.1 innings and gave up three runs on eight hits, three walks and one strikeout.
- Sean Hupp (2-5) suffered the loss giving up five runs (four earned) on six hits, no walks and one strikeout in three innings pitched.
- RJ Petit (4) earned the save pitching 3.2 innings of relief and allowed one run (none earned) on two hits, three walks and four strikeouts.
- Taylor finished the game going 2-for-3 at the plate with a game-high three RBI.
- Matthews and Andres Kim both tied for the team-lead with two hits.
- Stoudemire contributed four hits for the Buccaneers and was one of three players that had two RBI.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 4, CHARLESTON SOUTHERN 12
- Bottom 1st – Stoudemire gave Charleston Southern a 1-0 lead with his solo home run.
- Bottom 2nd – The Buccaneers plated four runs in the second inning and went ahead 5-0. Jack Delongchamps and Javon Martin both had two RBI as Delongchamps doubled down the left field line and Martin homered.
- Bottom 3rd – Charleston Southern increased its lead to 7-0 on an RBI sacrifice fly by Payton Holdsworth while Litchfield scored from third on a double steal.
- Top 4th – Garett Wallace drove in the first run of the game for the Spartans on his RBI infield single and made the score 7-1.
- Top 6th – Rip hit his fourth home run of the season, a solo blast, to left center field and cut USC Upstate's deficit down to 7-2.
- Bottom 6th – The Buccaneers responded by scoring four runs to push their lead out to 11-2. Ryerson highlighted the inning with his two-RBI double while Stoudemire and Jason Miller both had one RBI.
- Top 7th – Matthews drove in Jake Bourke, who reached on a one-out single, on his RBI infield single as the Spartans trailed 11-3.
- Bottom 8th – Charleston Southern added one run in its half of the eighth, extending its lead to 12-3, on a solo home run by Josh Peters.
- Top 9th – Taylor put the final score at 12-4 after hitting a solo home run, his third of the season, down the right field line.
- Cody Maw (3-5) received the win surrendering two runs on four hits, no walks and five strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Kyle Schmitt (2-2) took the loss throwing 2.2 innings while giving up seven runs on six hits, six walks and one strikeout.
- Taylor and Matthews both went 2-for-5 with one RBI and one run scored.
- Rip and Wallace each had one RBI.
- Four different players recorded two hits for the Buccaneers while Stoudemire, Ryerson, Delongchamps and Martin all tallied two RBI.
- USC Upstate plays its final non-conference midweek game of the season on Tuesday, May 14 traveling to South Carolina for a 7 p.m. first pitch.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).