Spartanburg, S.C. – Julian Rip went 2-for-2 with a game-high four RBI on Sunday morning as the USC Upstate baseball team increased its winning streak to five straight games with an 8-4 victory over the Alabama State Hornets at Harley Park.
USC Upstate evens its record at 22-22 on the season while Alabama State falls to 25-24 overall.
- Bottom 1st – Rip drove in his first run of the game with one out on an RBI infield single as the Spartans went ahead 1-0.
- Bottom 2nd – Davis Wilber made it a 2-0 game following his RBI triple to right center field that scored Jason Matthews.
- Top 4th – The Hornets plated three runs on RBI base hits from Angel Jimenez and Jorge Rivera to take a 3-2 lead. Jimenez began the scoring with his RBI single to right field and Rivera followed with a two-RBI single to left field.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate responded by scoring five runs of its own in the fourth and took the lead back at 7-3. Rip highlighted the inning with his three-RBI triple down the left field line. Jeff Taylor started the scoring with one out on his RBI single to right field. Robby McGaha followed the triple by Rip with an RBI single to left field.
- Top 5th – Alabama State cut its deficit down to 7-4 on a solo home run to left field by Santiago Garcia.
- Bottom 8th – The Spartans extended their lead back to four runs, 8-4, on an RBI infield single by Jack Hennessy.
- Sean Hupp (2-4) earned the win pitching six innings and allowed four runs (two earned) on six hits, one walk and three strikeouts.
- Kyle Schmitt, Jacob Thiessen and Trey Van Der Weide each pitched one scoreless inning of relief.
- Trevor Jurjevich (1-1) suffered the loss giving up seven runs (one earned) on eight hits, two walks and five strikeouts in 3.2 innings of work.
- Rip, Taylor and Matthews each had a team-high two hits to lead USC Upstate offensively.
- Rip led all players with four RBI.
- Taylor, Hennessy, McGaha and Wilber all contributed one RBI.
- Taylor and Matthews both scored two runs.
- J.J. Shimko drew three walks.
- Garcia led the Hornets offensively with two hits while Rivera had two RBI.
- The Spartans remain at home on Wednesday evening when it hosts crosstown rival Wofford at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).