Spartanburg, S.C. – Jordan Marks struck out six over seven innings, while Andres Kim went 3-for-3 with one RBI, as the USC Upstate baseball team opened its series against the Alabama State Hornets with a 9-2 win on Friday evening at Harley Park.
USC Upstate improves to 21-22 on the season while Alabama State falls to 25-23 overall.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans struck first by scoring three times in the second to take a 3-0 lead. Davis Wilber had one RBI in the inning on his sacrifice fly to center field. USC Upstate scored its first two runs on a Hornet throwing error after Jake Bourke's infield single.
- Bottom 3rd – The Spartans added three more runs to extend their lead to 6-0. J.J. Shimko began the scoring with his RBI double to left center field and Garett Wallace followed with an RBI single to center field. Bourke plated the final run of the inning on his RBI sacrifice fly to right field.
- Top 6th – Alabama State trimmed its deficit down to 6-2 following a two-run inning. Santiago Garcia and Angel Jimenez each had RBI base hits as Garcia contributed a double down the left field line and Jimenez a single to left field.
- Bottom 6th – USC Upstate answered by scoring two runs of its own to increase the lead back to six runs at 8-2. Wilber scored the first run of the inning on another Hornet error after a double down the left field line by Jeff Taylor. Kim then collected an RBI single to center field that brought home Taylor.
- Bottom 7th – Following a leadoff triple to left center field by Julian Rip, Robby McGaha posted an RBI sacrifice fly to center field as the Spartans went ahead 9-2.
- Marks (5-6) picked up the win throwing seven innings and allowed two runs on nine hits, one walk and six strikeouts.
- Caleb Matthews threw two scoreless innings of relief and struck out two while giving up three hits.
- Darren Kelly (5-2) suffered the loss pitching two innings and surrendered five runs (four earned) on four hits, two walks and no strikeouts.
- Five different USC Upstate batters had at least two hits in the game led by Kim's three.
- Shimko, Wallace, Rip and McGaha each recorded two hits.
- Taylor, Bourke and Jason Matthews all tallied one hit.
- Kim, Shimko, Wallace, McGaha, Bourke and Wilber compiled one RBI apiece.
- Rip scored a game-high two runs.
- Garcia led Alabama State offensively going 4-for-4 with one RBI.
- The Spartans resume their series against the Hornets with game two on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).