SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The game came down to the final pitch of the night for USC Upstate and Campbell University, Will Wheeler threw a full count fast ball past the swinging Spencer Packard to end the game and give the Spartans an 8-7 victory over the Camels.
With the win the Spartans are now 17-21 overall on the season and 5-12 in Big South play. Head coach Matt Fincher recorded win No. 497 of his career as the Spartans and the Camels split the series after a rainout last night. Campbell falls to 25-14 on the season and 13-4 in conference competition.
Top 1st: The Camels struck first in the top of the first inning with a two-run homerun from Luis Gimenez.
Top 2nd: Tyler Anshaw led off the inning with a solo shot to right field to give Campbell a 3-0 lead. Kirby Collins doubled to left field and later came around to score on a wild pitch and Matthew Barefoot added an RBI knock to give the Camels a five run advantage.
Bottom 2nd: The Spartans answered Campbell in the bottom of the second inning. Jake Bourke and Stone Stephenson both reached to lead-off the inning and advanced into scoring position on a Davis Wilber sacrifice bunt. Andres Kim then roped a two-run single through the left side of the infield to put the Spartans on the board.
Bottom 4th: The Swingin Spartans bats came alive in the bottom of the fourth inning. Stephenson began the inning with a single down the right field line and advanced to second on a Wilber ground out. After a Jeff Taylor walk and a Kim hit-by-pitch the Spartans had the bases loaded with just one out in the inning. J.J. Shimko had an RBI ground out to bring in the first run of the inning and Garett Wallace followed it up with a two-run knock of his own.
Top 6th: Tyler Anshaw tied the game up for the Camels in the top of the sixth inning with a single through the right side of the infield.
Bottom 6th: Shimko doubled to right centerfield to begin the inning and a few batters later Julian Rip broke the 6-6 tie with a RBI ground out to second base.
Top 8th: Gimenez doubled to centerfield with one out in the inning to give the Camels a runner in scoring position. Packard capitalized hitting the game tying single up the middle of the infield.
Bottom 8th: Andres Kim smoked a double down the left field line with one out in the inning. Griffin Zito came in to the game to pinch run and came around to score on a Shimko single up the middle of the infield.
- J.J. Shimko recorded his third three hit game in the past four games on Saturday night. Julian Rip joined the senior with a three hit performance of his own. Both players ended the game with a pair of RBI's.
- Andres Kim and Stone Stephenson both had two hit games, Kim and Garett Wallace also had multi-RBI performances.
- Trey Van Der Weide pitched 6.0 innings in relief, giving up 4 hits and 2 earned runs. The junior also struck out six batters in the game.
- Will Wheeler picked up his fourth win of the season, pitching 1.2 innings in relief and allowing just one hit while striking out a trio of Camels.
- USC Upstate will be back in action on Tuesday evening with a road trip to Furman. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).