SPARTANBURG, S.C. – For the second consecutive game senior outfielder J.J. Shimko recorded a three-hit performance at the plate, but it was not enough as Campbell defeated USC Upstate 9-6 on Thursday night at Harley Park.
With the loss USC Upstate falls to 16-21 overall on the season and 4-12 in Big South play. Meanwhile, Campbell improves to 25-13 overall and 13-3 in the conference.
Top 2nd: Tyler Anshaw singled to right field to begin the inning and then advanced to second base on an error. With runners on first and second Cameron Witt singled to the shortstop to load up the bases. One batter later and AJ Hrica hit a 2-run single up the middle to open up the scoring for both sides. Luis Gimenez doubled to left field and the Camels led 4-0 after the second inning.
Top 5th: Gimenez was hit by a pitch at the start of the inning and stole second to move into scoring position for the Camels. Grant Harris doubled to right center to bring in the first run of the inning. After a single by Colin Wolf, Spencer Packard singled to right field to score the second run of the inning. Anshaw, Collins and Babin all had RBI knocks to give Campbell a 9-1 lead after four and half innings of play.
Bottom 5th: Davis Wilber began the inning with a single through the right side of the infield and advanced into scoring position on a Robby McGaha bunt single down the third base line. Shimko doubled down the left field line and the Spartans had their second run of the game. Andres Kim singled back to the pitcher to load up the bases and Garett Wallace singled in the Spartans second run of the inning. Rip and Stone Pellegrino both drew RBI walks to cut the Camels lead to four runs.
Bottom 6th: With one out in the bottom sixth inning, Shimko doubled to the right center field wall. After a Kim strikeout, Wallace worked a full count walk to extend the inning for the Spartans. Rip made sure the opposition bad for it with a single through the left side of the infield.
- J.J. Shimko has now tied the team lead in multi-hit games with 11 on the season, after a 3 hit performance on Thursday night.
- Garett Wallace, Julian Rip and Robby McGaha all had multi-hit performances for the Spartans in the loss on Thursday.
- Stone Pellegrino's 9 game hitting streak came to a close, but the sophomore successfully reached base to increase his on-base streak to 18 games.
- Caleb Matthews had a strong relief outing, pitching 4.2 innings of one hit baseball against the Camels. Matthews, shutout Campbell and struck out four batters in the process.
- Koby Collins was the only Camel to record double-digit hits in the contest. Logan Heintzman picked up the win after pitching 5.0 innings in relief against the Spartans. Heintzman allowed just one earned run, while striking out 9 different Spartans.
- USC Upstate and Campbell will play game two of their series tomorrow evening at 6:00 p.m. at Harley Park.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).