Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team closed out the home portion of its schedule in convincing fashion on Saturday evening as the Spartans swept the Hampton Pirates, 3-0, in Big South action from the Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 13-16 overall and 8-6 in the Big South while Hampton falls to 8-17 on the season and 2-12 in conference play.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 25-18, 25-15 and 25-15.
USC Upstate held its Senior Night festivities following the match as it honored Morgan Deaville, Callie Yeargin, Madison Haake and Payton Duncan who were playing the final home match of their careers.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a .265-.000 advantage over the Pirates in team hitting percentage and hit a match-high .407 in the second set.
- USC Upstate held an opponent to .000 hitting for the first time this season and is the second-lowest hitting percentage by an opponent this year.
- The Spartans forced Hampton into 25 attack errors.
- USC Upstate also led 9.0-3.0 in total team blocks.
- Lily Dempsey and Gloria Ikenegbu led the Spartans offensively with nine kills apiece while Ikenegbu hit a match-high .471.
- Haake dished out 24 assists while Duncan contributed 12 digs.
- Mackenzie Lauer added eight kills and hit .353 overall.
- Megann Delgado had a team-high 10 kills for Hampton and Maja Petronijevic collected 10 digs.
- Lena Reed-Petracek, Brooklyn Irvin and Amani Walker combined for 21 assists.
- The match featured four ties and three lead changes.
- Set One: USC Upstate opened on a 7-3 run and would lead 10-6 off a kill from Emily Russell. The Pirates came back to trail 11-9 off a Spartan service error. USC Upstate then went on a 4-1 run and led 15-10 following a service error. Hampton would get as close as 15-13 a few plays later. The Spartans finished on a 6-3 run and won 25-18 after another Pirate service error.
- Set Two: USC Upstate started on a 7-3 run for the second straight set and later went ahead 11-5 following back-to-back Pirate attack errors. The Spartans led by at least five points for a majority of the set before going in front 21-13 after a kill by Dempsey. Lauer recorded two straight kills to give USC Upstate the 25-15 victory.
- Set Three: Hampton scored two of the first three points to begin the third set before the Spartans responded with an 11-2 run to lead 12-4 after a Pirate attack error. USC Upstate broke the set open by scoring seven of the next 12 points and took its largest lead at 19-9 on a combination block from Dempsey and Ikenegbu. The Spartans recorded the final four points to take the set 25-15 and win the match 3-0.
- USC Upstate travels to Asheville, N.C. on Tuesday, Nov. 6 to face UNC Asheville at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).