High Point, N.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team suffered a 3-0 defeat to the High Point Panthers in Big South action on Friday evening at the Millis Center.
USC Upstate falls to 7-15 on the season and 3-5 in Big South play while High Point improves to 12-8 overall and 7-1 in the conference.
The Panthers won the match by scores of 25-20, 25-15 and 25-16.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans finished the match with 33 digs, 28 kills and 25 assists.
- USC Upstate also registered 7.0 total blocks led by 5.0 from Emily Russell.
- McKenna Kirkpatrick led the Spartans offensively with nine kills and hit .316 for the match.
- Madison Haake dished out 18 assists and had six digs.
- Payton Duncan had a team-high 11 digs.
- Madison Smith recorded a match-high 11 kills for HPU while Abby Bottomley collected 16 digs.
- Mackenzi Thornburg and Jenna Smith combined for 37 assists with Thornburg finishing with 19 and Smith 18.
- The match featured six ties and two lead changes.
- Set One: High Point scored five of the first seven points to lead 5-2 off a service ace. USC Upstate got to within two points four times with the last coming at 10-8 on Russell's kill. The Panthers then used a 6-3 run to go ahead 16-11. The Spartans came back with a service error and service ace by Morgan Deaville to trail 16-13. High Point broke the set open with a 7-2 run and held a 23-15 lead off a kill. USC Upstate made a late charge and was down 24-20 after a 5-1 run capped by a kill from Haake. The Panthers won the set on the following play.
- Set Two: The teams exchanged the first 10 points and were tied at 5-5 after a solo block from Gloria Ikenegbu. High Point took the lead back and the Spartans would trail 8-6 after a kill by Haake. A Panther service error kept USC Upstate within three at 10-7. The Panthers would follow with a 10-2 run and increase their lead out to 20-9. High Point kept its 11-point lead a few plays later and captured the set 25-15 off a kill.
- Set Three: The opening 18 points went both ways as Haake tied the score for the Spartans at 9-9 after her kill. The Panthers came back with a 10-2 run and took a 19-11 lead on a kill. USC Upstate would get as close as seven points, 23-16, late on a High Point attack error. The Panthers won the set two plays later to capture the match 3-0.
- The Spartans travel to Presbyterian College on Tuesday, Oct. 16 for a 6 p.m. match against the Blue Hose.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).