Spartanburg, S.C. – Lily Dempsey led three players with double-figure kills on Friday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision to the Winthrop Eagles inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 5-14 overall and 1-4 in the Big South while Winthrop improves to 8-10 on the season and 4-2 in conference play.
The Eagles won the match by scores of 25-27, 25-22, 25-23 and 25-22.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Dempsey led the Spartans offensively with 13 kills and hit .367 in the match to go with nine digs.
- Gloria Ikenegbu and Emily Russell both contributed 10 kills.
- Ikenegbu hit .450 for the match and added four assisted blocks.
- Russell totaled six blocks with two solo and four assisted.
- Payton Duncan had a team-high 14 digs while Mikenzie Young-Mullins contributed 10.
- Lourdes Rosario and Siani Yamaguchi both had double-doubles for Winthrop. Rosario tallied 23 kills and 12 digs while Yamaguchi had 66 assists and 20 digs.
- USC Upstate held a 12.0-6.0 advantage in total team blocks.
- The Spartans hit .257 for the match highlighted by a .366 mark in the first set.
- The match featured 40 ties and 16 lead changes.
- Set One: The opening 20 points featured six ties as the Eagles evened the score at 10-10 on a USC Upstate service error. The Spartans had taken a 10-9 lead the previous play off McKenna Kirkpatrick's kill. USC Upstate then used a 6-1 run and took a 16-11 lead after a kill from Russell. Winthrop came back to tie the score late at 19-19 on a kill. The Spartans recorded five of the next eight points to hold a 24-22 advantage on Russell's kill. The Eagles scored the next two points to even the score. Tied at 25-25, USC Upstate used a Winthrop attack error and kill by Dempsey to win the set 27-25.
- Set Two: The Spartans held an early 6-4 lead following a solo block by Russell. Winthrop followed with a 6-1 run and led 10-7 on a service ace. USC Upstate responded with six of the next nine points and tied the score at 13-13 off a kill from Dempsey. The Eagles then scored the next four points forcing the Spartans into a timeout. Winthrop broke the set open with a 10-4 run and held a 23-17 lead. The Spartans attempted a late rally with a 5-1 run and trailed 24-22 on a solo block from Dempsey. The Eagles won the set the following play.
- Set Three: Winthrop opened the set on a 10-4 run and held a six-point lead on a kill. USC Upstate followed with a 6-2 run and cut its deficit down to 12-10 on a combination block by Haake and Ikenegbu. The Eagles recorded the next four points and tied their largest lead of the set at 16-10. The Spartans later took a 20-19 lead courtesy of a 10-3 run capped by a combination block from Haake and Russell. A Winthrop attack error evened the score at 23-23. The Eagles scored the last two points for the 25-23 victory.
- Set Four: The fourth set featured 18 ties and seven lead changes. After trading the first 18 points, USC Upstate scored the next two to lead 11-9 on Haake's kill and a service ace by Morgan Deaville. An attack error by Winthrop later gave the Spartans a 14-13 advantage. The score would be tied six times after that with the last coming at 20-20 on a kill by Russell. Deaville then gave USC Upstate a 22-21 lead with her service ace. The Eagles concluded the set scoring the last four points to win 25-22 and capture the match 3-1.
- The Spartans host Gardner-Webb on Saturday evening at 5 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).