Jacksonville, Fla. – Lily Dempsey recorded a team-high seven kills on Friday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team dropped a 3-0 road decision in ASUN play to the North Florida Ospreys inside UNF Arena.
North Florida won the match by scores of 25-18, 25-21 and 25-20.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Dempsey led the Spartans offense with seven kills while adding three digs and three blocks.
- Gloria Ikenegbu added six kills off the bench and hit .357 for the match after committing just one attack error on 14 attempts.
- Emily Russell contributed five kills.
- Madison Haake just missed on a double-double with 23 assists and eight digs.
- Montana Swanson and Kaleigh Kelley each had 12 digs defensively for Upstate.
- Devyn Wheeler had a double-double for the Ospreys on 15 kills and 21 digs.
- Katarina Raicevic contributed 16 kills and Taryn Griffey 11.
- Carinne Turner dished out 38 assists and Ashley Laborde posted 14 digs.
- UNF held a .273 to .125 advantage in hitting percentage over the Spartans.
- Both teams concluded the match with seven blocks apiece.
- Set One: North Florida opened the set on a 10-5 run and led Upstate by five after a service error. The Spartans then used an 8-3 run to even the score at 13-13 on a UNF ball handling error. McKenna Kirkpatrick kept the score tied several plays later at 17-17 with her kill. The Ospreys followed with seven straight points and went on to take the set 25-18.
- Set Two: Ikenegbu gave Upstate the early 2-0 lead to start the second set after connecting on back-to-back kills. The teams traded the first 20 points before the Spartans scored three of the next four to hold a 13-11 advantage on another kill from Ikenegbu. Dempsey kept Upstate's lead at two, 14-12, a couple of plays later with her kill. North Florida came back and led by as many as three points, 21-18, late off an attack error. The Spartans were able to get to within one, 21-20, on a solo block from Dempsey. The Ospreys recorded four of the final five points for the 25-21 triumph.
- Set Three: The teams traded the first 14 points of the third set before a combination block from Ikenegbu and Russell gave Upstate an 8-7 lead. The Spartans later took a 12-9 lead after a kill from Russell. North Florida scored the next eight points to go in front 17-12. Trailing 21-14 late, the Spartans would go on a 6-3 run and got to within four, 24-20, on a UNF attack error. The Ospreys won the set, and match, the following play.
- Upstate closes out its regular season Saturday evening at 5 p.m. against Jacksonville.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).