DeLand, Fla. – The USC Upstate volleyball team had three players record double-doubles on Saturday evening but the Spartans fell to the Stetson Hatters 3-1 in ASUN play from the Edmunds Center.
Upstate falls to 5-13 overall and 2-3 in the league while Stetson improves to 3-14 on the season and 2-3 in conference play.
The Hatters won the match by scores of 28-26, 23-25, 25-14 and 25-22.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans had three players finish with double-doubles in Montana Swanson, Callie Yeargin and Madison Haake.
- Swanson concluded the match with 13 kills and a career-high 25 digs, Yeargin 15 kills and 15 digs, and Haake 52 assists and 12 digs.
- McKenna Kirkpatrick also set a new career-high after leading Upstate offensively with 18 kills.
- Kaleigh Kelley added a total of 11 digs.
- Eva Deisa was one of four Stetson players to post double-digit kills with a team-leading 15 while Chelcie Spence had 23 digs.
- Anna Bezhan and Naina Ivanova both finished with double-doubles for the Hatters.
- Stetson held a .254 to .169 advantage in hitting percentage.
- The Spartans led 62-59 in kills and 59-55 in assists.
- Set One: The opening set featured a total of 18 ties and 10 lead changes. The teams traded the first 26 points of the frame and were tied 13-13 midway. Upstate led five times during that stretch and held a 10-8 lead on a combination block from Haake and Kirkpatrick. The Hatters came back and took their largest lead of the set at 19-16 to force a Spartan timeout. Upstate responded with a 6-2 run and led 22-21 after a Stetson attack error. The score went back-and-forth, going into extra points, before the Hatters scored the final two for the 28-26 win.
- Set Two: The Spartans scored six of the first nine points and went in front 6-3 on an attack error. Stetson came back to tie the score at 11-11 before Upstate used an 8-3 run to lead 19-14 on Kirkpatrick's kill. The Hatters later evened the score at 23-23 following a 9-4 run of their own. The Spartans held off the Stetson charge and won 25-23 on back-to-back kills from Swanson.
- Set Three: Upstate began the third set on an 8-4 run and went ahead by four on a kill by Kirkpatrick. The Hatters then used a 17-3 run to break the set open and lead 21-11. Stetson picked up the final two points for the 25-14 triumph.
- Set Four: The first 10 points of the fourth set were split evenly as the score sat at 5-5 off a kill from Swanson. Swanson later kept the Spartans within a one-point margin at 9-8 with another kill. The Hatters would then go on a 9-4 run and held an 18-12 advantage on an Upstate attack error. The Spartans attempted a late rally and trailed 21-19, capping a 7-3 run, when Kirkpatrick and Yeargin teamed up for a combination block. Stetson won the set, and match, several plays later with a kill putting the final score at 25-22 for the set and 3-1 for the match.
- Upstate continues its road trip next weekend, Oct. 13-14, at Kennesaw State and Lipscomb.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).