DeLand, Fla. – The USC Upstate softball team dropped an 8-4 decision to the top-seeded Kennesaw State Owls on Saturday afternoon in the championship game of the ASUN Softball Championship from Patricia Wilson Field.
USC Upstate falls to 35-19 overall while Kennesaw State improved to 39-15 on the season.
- Bottom 2nd – The Owls scored four times in their half of the second to take a 4-0 lead over the Spartans. Patricia Awald began the scoring with a solo home run to left field and Olivia Tamewitz followed by reaching on an error that allowed Andrea Summey to score. Alexa Solorzano plated two more runs with her two-RBI single.
- Bottom 3rd – An RBI sacrifice bunt from Jessie Mullen drove in Maddie Roth from third base.
- Top 4th – Karla Beasley and Logan Morris got USC Upstate on the board with back-to-back home runs to start the inning and cut Kennesaw State's lead to 5-2. It was the 16th home run of the season for Beasley and eighth for Morris.
- Top 6th – Megan Obier made it a 5-4 game with two outs on her two-RBI triple to right center field that scored Morris and Brittany Case. Morris reached on an infield single and Case singled to center field.
- Bottom 6th – The Owls responded with three runs to increase their lead to 8-4 on RBI's from Tamewitz and Joirea Dumas. Tamewitz then scored on a Spartan error.
- Alley Cutting (17-8) earned the win in relief pitching 3.2 innings and allowed two runs on four hits, no walks and one strikeout.
- Erin Hill (10-4) suffered the loss giving up four runs (one earned) on six hits, no walks and one strikeout in 1.2 innings of work.
- Morris and Case both went 2-for-2 at the plate for USC Upstate while Morris scored twice and Case once.
- Obier drove in a team-high two RBI after going 1-for-2.
- Morris added one RBI along with Beasley.
- Tamewitz and Awald both collected two hits for Kennesaw State while Solorzano added two RBI.
- The Spartans had three representatives placed on the ASUN All-Tournament Team in Morris, Hannah Davis and Christina Biggerstaff.
- Beasley hit her 45th career home run in the contest and finishes third all-time at USC Upstate in career home runs, one behind Stacey Berrong (1996-99).
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).