DeLand, Fla. – Erin Hill tossed a complete game shutout to help the third-seed USC Upstate softball team defeat the fifth-seeded Jacksonville Dolphins on Thursday evening in game six of the ASUN Softball Championship from Patricia Wilson Field.
USC Upstate improves to 33-18 on the season while Jacksonville's season ends with a 27-29 overall record.
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans used a double steal from Kristen Wright and Logan Morris to take an early 1-0 lead. Wright led off the inning with a walk and went to third on Morris' single. Morris then stole second base as Wright was caught in a rundown between third and home. Wright beat the tag attempt and scored while Morris moved to third.
- Bottom 5th – Hannah Davis extended USC Upstate's lead to 2-0 with two outs following her RBI single down the right field line. Wright scored from second base after reaching on an infield single and taking second when Morris was hit by a pitch.
- Hill (10-3) tossed her second complete game shutout this season and picked up the win after giving up just three hits on one walk and three strikeouts. She did not allow a base runner for the first 4.1 innings of the game.
- Alyssa Bilodeau (15-13) suffered the loss allowing two runs on five hits, three walks and one strikeout in six innings of work.
- Ansley Gilstrap added one more stolen base to her season total and now has 42 this year, two away from tying Shay Slater for the all-time single-season record set in 2006.
- The Spartans saw five players in Wright, Davis, Morris, Gilstrap and Megan Obier collect one hit apiece.
- Davis had the game's only RBI while Wright scored both runs for USC Upstate.
- Heather Roberts, Hannah Roberts and Jordan Daniels had one hit apiece for the Dolphins.
- The Spartans face No. 4 Lipscomb on Friday afternoon at 3 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).