Tucson, Ariz. – Logan Morris and Brittany Case each collected two hits on Saturday afternoon as the No. 24/25 USC Upstate softball team fell to the San Diego Toreros 3-2 in its fourth game of the Wildcat Invitational from Arizona's Hillenbrand Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 18-4 overall while San Diego moves to 12-13 on the season.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans struck first with a single run in the second to go ahead 1-0. Morris drew a leadoff walk and was pinch run for by Makenna Helton. Helton moved to second on a groundout by Case. She then scored on a stolen base and a Torero throwing error.
- Top 3rd – San Diego scored three times in its half of the third to take a 3-1 lead. Hannah Gilliland plated the first run with her RBI single to right field and Kailey Hill followed with a two-run home run to right field.
- Bottom 6th – USC Upstate cut its deficit down to 3-2 with no outs after an RBI fielder's choice by Kendsey Chappelear. The Spartans loaded the bases to start the inning on singles from Morris, Case and Megan Obier. Obier came home on Chappelear's fielder's choice.
- Delaney Heller (5-5) earned the win going four innings and gave up one run on six hits, one walk and one strikeout.
- Christina Biggerstaff (8-2) suffered the loss throwing 6.2 innings and allowed three runs on two hits, nine walks and five strikeouts.
- Halle Kyler (1) picked up the save tossing three innings of relief and surrendered one run on four hits, no walks and one strikeout.
- Along with two hits apiece from Morris and Case, USC Upstate had six players record one hit in Obier, Ansley Gilstrap, Kristen Wright, Karla Beasley, Kayla Hussey and Tarynn Tirpak.
- Gilstrap and Morris both collected one double at the plate.
- Chappelear posted one RBI while Helton and Obier scored one run.
- Beasley has now reached base in a season-best 22 straight games following today while Case improved her streak to 13.
- Gilliland and Hill had the only two hits for the Toreros.
- Hill drove in a game-high two RBI.
- The Spartans conclude play at the Wildcat Invitational on Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. EST against ninth-ranked Arizona.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).