Tucson, Ariz. – The South Dakota Coyotes scored three runs in the bottom of the third to lead to a 7-4 victory over the No. 24/25 USC Upstate softball team on Friday evening during the Wildcat Invitational from Arizona's Hillenbrand Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 18-2 on the season while South Dakota moves its record to 7-17 overall.
- Top 1st – The Spartans struck first for two runs and led 2-0. Ansley Gilstrap led off the game with a single to left center field and then stole second base. Karla Beasley drove in Gilstrap two batters later with her RBI double down the left field line. Logan Morris followed with an RBI single to center field allowing Beasley to score.
- Bottom 1st – The Coyotes also scored twice to tie the score at 2-2. Jamie Holscher and Emily Winckler contributed back-to-back RBI doubles.
- Top 2nd – USC Upstate took the lead back at 3-2 on Gilstrap's RBI single to left field. Kendsey Chappelear reached on a fielder's choice and stole second base. Chappelear scored from second on Gilstrap's single.
- Bottom 3rd – South Dakota grabbed the lead back at 5-3 following a three-run inning. Lauren Eamiguel highlighted the inning with her two-RBI double down the left field line while Holscher added another RBI double.
- Top 4th – The Spartans trimmed their deficit down to 5-4 after scoring once in the fourth. Chappelear plated Brittany Case, who singled to start the inning, with her RBI single to center field. After reaching on her leadoff single, Case stole second base.
- Bottom 5th – The Coyotes extended their lead over USC Upstate to 7-4 on a two-RBI double to left field by Taylor Steinfeldt.
- Sarah Lisko (3-5) picked up the win throwing four innings and gave up four runs on eight hits, no walks and no strikeouts.
- Erin Hill (5-1) suffered the loss surrendering five runs (two earned) on five hits, no walks and one strikeout in 2.1 innings of work.
- Dustie Durham (2) earned the save throwing three scoreless innings of relief and allowed one hit on three walks and no strikeouts.
- Kelsey Sweatt gave up two runs in 2.2 innings of relief while Caylie Van Auken tossed one scoreless inning.
- Gilstrap led the Spartans at the plate with a 3-for-4 performance and had one RBI and one run scored.
- Beasley, Morris and Chappelear each recorded one RBI.
- Six different USC Upstate players registered one hit.
- Beasley, Case and Chappelear all scored one run.
- Holscher, Eamiguel and Alyssa Fernandez collected two hits apiece for South Dakota.
- Eamiguel posted three RBI and Holscher scored three runs.
- The Spartans continue play at the Wildcat Invitational on Saturday facing ninth-ranked Arizona (11 a.m. EST) and San Diego (3 p.m. EST).
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).