Spartanburg, S.C. – Brittney Delva's layup with 50 seconds remaining capped an 11-point second half comeback for USC Upstate as they defeated Stetson 69-64 at Eddie and Ann Payne Arena at the G.B. Hodge Center on Monday night. The win was the 175th victory for head coach Tammy George at USC Upstate.
USC Upstate improves to 10-16 overall and 5-6 in the ASUN Conference while Stetson drops to 15-12 and 6-5.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The win is the 175th for head coach Tammy George at USC Upstate.
- Riley Popplewell recorded her third career double-double and first of the season as she led the Spartans with 16 points and 13 rebounds.
- Delva finished with 15 points and had a team-best six assists while Tamera Thorpe finished in double figures with 14 points.
- McKenna Beach and Brittney Chambers each had 16 points followed by Michelle Pruitt with 14 points.
- Stetson outrebounded USC Upstate 37-35.
- USC Upstate went 20-for-48 (41.7 percent) from the field while Stetson finished 26-for-66 (39.4 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Stetson opened the game on a 6-0 run, prompting a USC Upstate timeout with 6:34 remaining.
- A Pruitt jumper gave the Hatters a 10-2 lead at the 4:39 mark.
- Morgan Williams sank two free throws to bring USC Upstate within five, 14-9, with just over three minutes left.
- Chambers was fouled with 0.3 seconds left and made both of her free throws to close out the quarter as the Hatters led 20-9.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans opened the quarter with consecutive jumpers by Thorpe and Williams to pull within seven, 20-13.
- Popplewell's 3-pointer brought USC Upstate within two, 26-24, with 5:31 left.
- Stetson answered with a 4-0 run to lead 30-24 following a pair of Megan Vincent free throws at the 3:47 mark.
- A Delva layup with 29 seconds remaining sent the Spartans into halftime trailing 34-31.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A Kendall Lentz layup kicked off a 9-1 Stetson run to start the period.
- The Hatters led 43-32 at the 7:11 mark with the 11-point lead tying their largest advantage of the game.
- USC Upstate answered with a DeNisha Swain 3-pointer and a pair of Popplewell free throws to pull within six, 43-37.
- Following a Jordan Tully layup, the Spartans went on a 9-3 run as they pulled within a point on a Thorpe jumper at the 2:56 mark.
- Delva's 3-pointer with 59 seconds to play in the period gave the Spartans a 52-49 lead, their first of the game.
- The Spartans led 52-51 at the end of the quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Stetson claimed a 55-52 lead thanks to a pair of Pruitt layups.
- Delva tied the game at 59 thanks to a layup with 6:13 remaining.
- Beach sank the first of two free throws with 1:18 left for a 62-61 Stetson lead with 1:25 left.
- On the ensuing USC Upstate possession, Delva converted a layup to give the Spartans a 63-62 edge.
- Chambers missed what would have been the go-ahead layup for the Hatters with 25 seconds left and Delva grabbed the defensive rebound.
- Trailing 67-64, Stetson had a chance to tie with under 10 seconds left, but a Popplewell steal followed by a pair of Swain free throws sealed the win for the Spartans.
- USC Upstate travels to the River City to face Jacksonville on Saturday at 1 p.m. followed by a battle with North Florida on Monday at 7 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).