Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team was unable to overcome a series of double-digit runs by Florida Gulf Coast in an 88-44 defeat on Saturday afternoon at Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
Florida Gulf Coast improves to 23-4 overall and 9-1 in ASUN Conference play while USC Upstate falls to 9-16 and 4-6.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Brittney Delva led USC Upstate with nine points.
- A'Lexxus Davis grabbed a team-best eight rebounds, seven of which came on the defensive glass.
- Taylor Gradinjan scored a game-high 22 points to lead Florida Gulf Coast.
- Tytionia Adderly posted a double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds.
- Nasrin Ulel added 10 points.
- The Eagles had 31 assists.
- Florida Gulf Coast outrebounded the Spartans 46-29.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Tamera Thorpe made the first of two free throw attempts at the 9:19 mark to open the scoring.
- The Eagles responded with an 8-2 run for an 8-3 lead following an Erica Nelson layup at the 5:49 mark.
- A Riley Popplewell layup brought the Spartans within four, 11-7, with 4:21 left.
- The Eagles closed the quarter on a 9-2 run as the led 20-9 after the opening period.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Popplewell completed the three-point play to bring the Spartans within seven, 20-13, at the 8:50 mark.
- Adderly gave the Eagles a 22-13 lead on the next Florida Gulf Coast possession.
- Delva sank a pair of free throws to pull the Spartans within five, 24-19, with 5:48 left.
- Florida Gulf Coast responded with a 12-0 run fueled by four 3-pointers to take a 36-19 lead with 3:18 remaining.
- The Eagles led 42-22 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Florida Gulf Coast opened the quarter on an 11-0 run for a 51-22 lead.
- A pair of Lisa Zderadicka free throws gave the hosts a 57-28 lead at the 2:38 mark.
- The Eagles led 65-31 at the end of the quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A Delva layup 15 seconds into the quarter opened the scoring.
- Anda Kuzmina sank two free throws with 5:17 to play to make the score 77-41.
- Diamon Shiflet's free throw with 56 seconds remaining was the final point of the game.
- USC Upstate concludes a three-game homestand against Stetson on Monday at 7 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).