Spartanburg, S.C. – A 10-0 run to open the game combined with a career-high 16 rebounds from A'Lexxus Davis gave the USC Upstate women's basketball team a boost as the Spartans defeated Lipscomb 80-64 on Wednesday at Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 9-15 overall and 4-5 in the ASUN Conference while Lipscomb drops to 9-15 and 5-4.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Davis surpassed her previous career-high of 14 rebounds set against William & Mary on Nov. 22, 2016.
- She is the first Spartan to grab 15 or more rebounds since Brittany Starling had 15 rebounds at Northern Kentucky on March 17, 2016.
- Tamera Thorpe scored a team-high 19 points.
- Anda Kuzmina finished with 16 points followed by Brittney Delva with 13 points.
- DeNisha Swain led the Spartans with six assists.
- Lauren Cagle scored a game-high 22 points and had nine assists to lead Lipscomb.
- Kaylee Cotton and Loshaveon Jones each scored 12 points.
- Both teams finished with 40 rebounds.
- USC Upstate finished 27-for-58 (46.6 percent) from the field.
- Lipscomb went 24-for-68 (35.3 percent) from the field.
- USC Upstate concludes its ASUN regular season series against Lipscomb with a perfect 11-0 record in games played in Spartanburg.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate opened the game on a 10-0 run, prompting a Lipscomb timeout at the 6:12 mark.
- The Lady Bisons got on the board with a Cagle layup at the 5:55 mark.
- Rylie Parkhurst's 3-pointer at the 2:18 mark gave the hosts a 17-4 lead.
- The Spartans led 17-8 after the first quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Taylor Clark's jumper at the 8:17 mark brought the Lady Bisons within seven, 19-12.
- USC Upstate answered with a 7-0 run capped by a Thorpe layup with 6:56 remaining to give the hosts a 26-12 lead.
- A Kuzmina 3-pointer gave the Spartans a 31-16 lead with just over three minutes to play.
- Thorpe's layup with 13 seconds left was the final field goal of the first half as the Spartans led 38-25 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Delva opened the third quarter scoring with a 3-pointer at the 9:15 mark.
- Following a Morgan Williams layup that gave the Spartans a 49-34 lead with five minutes left, Lipscomb went on a 7-0 run to pull within eight, 49-41, on a Cotton jumper with just under three minutes remaining.
- The Spartans responded with a 6-0 run for a 54-41 lead after a Kuzmina jumper with 2:02 to play.
- A Riley Popplewell layup with two seconds remaining sent USC Upstate into the final quarter with a 56-43 lead.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Clark's layup 40 seconds into the quarter brought the visitors within 11, 56-45.
- USC Upstate responded with a 9-0 run as Swain's 3-pointer at the 4:14 mark gave the Spartans a game-high 18-point lead, 65-47.
- A Cagle layup with 2:20 remaining brought Lipscomb within 12 points, 72-60. The Lady Bisons would get no closer as USC Upstate made six of eight free throw attempts along with a Michaela Gibbons layup to seal the win.
- USC Upstate hosts Florida Gulf Coast on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).