Newark, N.J. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team opened Saturday's game with a 21-7 run as the Spartans won their ASUN Conference opener for the third straight year with a 95-57 triumph over NJIT at the Wellness and Events Center.
Upstate improves to 6-10 overall and 1-0 in league play while NJIT drops to 2-14 and 0-1.
"This was a great team win!" head coach Tammy George said. "We had a balanced attack offensively and I'm really proud of the way the team started the game and we never looked back!"
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The 95-point output is the most by Upstate in an ASUN Conference game. Upstate's previous high was 93 points against Lipscomb on Feb. 6, 2016.
- A'Lexxus Davis and Riley Popplewell each tied their career-highs with 17 points to lead the Spartans.
- Morgan Williams added 14 points with Anda Kuzmina contributing 13 points.
- Davis and Brittney Delva each grabbed six rebounds.
- Tatianna Torres and Kelly Guarino finished with 10 points each to lead NJIT.
- The Spartans enjoyed a 39-29 edge in rebounds.
- Upstate finished 39-for-58 (67.2 percent) from the field.
- NJIT was 17-for-63 (27.0 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A pair of Davis free throws followed by a layup gave the Spartans a 4-0 lead at the 8:39 mark.
- Tamera Thorpe completed a three-point play with 5:49 remaining to give Upstate a 9-4 edge.
- Kuzmina's jumper with just under four minutes to play gave Upstate a 13-6 lead. The Spartans closed the quarter on an 8-1 run to lead 21-7 after the first 10 minutes.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Popplewell's layup at the 7:45 mark pushed the Upstate edge to 25-9.
- Kuzmina gave Upstate a 20-point edge, 34-14, with 4:41 left.
- NJIT pulled within 15, 39-24, thanks to a pair of Amari Trueheart free throws.
- Williams gave the Spartans their largest lead of the first half at 21 points on a layup with 48 seconds to play.
- Trueheart scored the final points of the half as Upstate led 47-28 at halftime.
- Upstate went 19-for-26 (73.1 percent) from the field in the first half.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A Kuzmina 3-pointer followed by a jumper gave the Spartans a 52-28 lead at the 7:54 mark.
- Popplewell moved into double figures on her jumper with just over five minutes to play as Upstate led 58-32.
- Upstate led 72-43 at the end of the quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Davis eclipsed the 10-point mark on a layup 18 seconds into the period.
- Upstate took an 82-48 lead on a Davis layup with just over six minutes left.
- Diamon Shiflet's free throws with 21 seconds left were the final points scored by the Spartans.
- The 39-point lead following Shiflet's free throws was the largest of the game for Upstate.
- Dez Allen made the first of two free throws with seven seconds left for the game's final score.
- Upstate travels to Stetson next Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).