Photo Credit: Carin Goodall-Gosnell/PortraitsByCarin.com
Williamsburg, Va. – Rylie Parkhurst and Riley Popplewell each finished with 12 points but the USC Upstate women's basketball team was unable to overcome a slow start in an 83-63 loss at William & Mary in Kaplan Arena on Tuesday night.
William & Mary improves to 8-1 while Upstate falls to 2-8.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Popplewell's 12-point output eclipsed her previous season-high of eight points against Gardner-Webb on Nov. 28.
- Anda Kuzmina led Upstate with a career-high five rebounds.
- Brittney Delva dished out a game-high seven assists.
- Nari Garner scored a game-high 15 points to lead William & Mary. Nyla Pollard finished with 14 points while Jenna Green also finished in double figures with 13 points.
- Jeanne Gaumont grabbed a game-high six rebounds for the Tribe.
- William & Mary outrebounded the Spartans 38-30.
- William & Mary finished 28-for-58 (48 percent) from the field and turned in a 10-for-18 (56 percent) performance from behind the 3-point line.
- Upstate went 23-for-55 (42 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- William & Mary opened the game on an 11-0 run following a jumper by Abby Rendle with 5:26 to play.
- Parkhurst got the Spartans on the board with a jumper at the 5:05 mark.
- The Tribe led 25-2 following a Pollard 3-pointer with 1:56 remaining.
- Garner's 3-pointer as the first quarter expired gave the hosts a 30-12 lead at the end of the opening frame.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Tribe opened the second quarter on a 7-1 run as they led 37-13 following an Ashley Taylor 3-pointer with 7:32 remaining.
- A pair of Gaumont free throws at the 4:11 mark gave the Tribe a 40-15 lead, with the 25-point advantage being their largest of the first half.
- Upstate answered with a 12-1 run, pulling to within 14 points as Kuzmina drilled a 3-pointer with 36 seconds remaining.
- William & Mary led 43-27 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A free throw by Popplewell at the 7:20 mark opened the third quarter scoring.
- William & Mary extended its lead to 18 points, 51-33, following a Gaumont free throw with 3:40 left.
- Parkhurst sank a 3-pointer to bring the Spartans within 14 points, 52-38, with 2:42 to play.
- The Tribe led 50-47 at the end of the period.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Following a Pollard layup, Diamon Shiflet's 3-pointer made the score 59-43 with 9:23 to play.
- A Victoria Reynolds jumper gave the hosts a 74-51 lead with just under five minutes remaining.
- Kuzmina completed the three-point play with 15 seconds remaining for the final points of the night.
- Upstate hosts South Carolina State on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).