Spartanburg, S.C. – Courtney Vaccher's three-point play with 11.4 seconds remaining gave the Omaha Mavericks a lead they wouldn't relinquish as the USC Upstate women's basketball team fell 69-66 in a back-and-forth game on Friday afternoon at the G.B. Hodge Center.
Omaha improves to 3-2 while Upstate falls to 1-5.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Tamera Thorpe scored a team-leading 20 points to lead the Spartans. It is the second time this season, and second consecutive Friday game, that Thorpe has eclipsed the 20-point mark.
- Morgan Williams scored a career-high 15 points.
- Jess Walter led Omaha with 20 points, followed by Vaccher with 15 and Ellie Brecht with 11.
- Vaccher posted a double-double as she grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds, with nine of them coming on the defensive glass.
- The Mavericks outrebounded Upstate 41-33.
- Omaha had 23 turnovers compared to 13 giveaways by the Spartans.
- Omaha finished 26-for-54 (48.1 percent) from the field and 10-for-13 (76.9 percent) at the free throw line. The Spartans were 23-for-62 (37.1 percent) in the field and 11-for-18 (61.1 percent) at the charity stripe.
- There were eight ties and 20 lead changes in the contest.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Brecht and Rylie Parkhurst traded 3-pointers to open the game before the Spartans led 6-5 at the first quarter media timeout with 4:59 left.
- Emily Peterson gave the visitors an 8-6 lead on a 3-pointer with 3:45 remaining before the Spartans went on a 5-0 run to go in front 11-8 following an A'Lexxus Davis layup with 73 seconds left in the period.
- Following a Walter 3-pointer that tied the game, Thorpe hit a pair of free throws with 20 seconds left as Upstate led 13-11 after the opening frame.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Thorpe opened the scoring in the second quarter with a 3-pointer to give Upstate a 16-11 lead, with the five-point advantage being the largest for the Spartans in the first half.
- After Parkhurst put the Spartans ahead 21-17, a Brecht layup tied the game at 21-21 with 4:09 to play.
- Walter's jumper with 15 seconds left sent Omaha into halftime with a 31-30 lead.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Omaha opened the third quarter on a 7-0 run, taking a 38-30 lead on Walter's layup at the 6:23 mark.
- The eight-point lead for Omaha at that point was the largest for either team in the game.
- Following a pair of Romekia Wallace free throws at the 4:04 mark that gave Omaha a 40-33 advantage, Upstate went on an 11-0 run to close the quarter with a 44-40 lead.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Following a pair of Thorpe free throws that gave the Spartans a 46-40 edge, Omaha reclaimed the lead, 47-46, thanks to a Vidal 3-pointer with 8:39 to play.
- A Brittney Delva tip-in followed by a Thorpe 3-pointer gave Upstate a 56-53 edge with 5:27 left.
- Upstate led 59-55 following a pair of Williams free throws with 4:32 to play.
- Following a Williams layup that gave the Spartans a 61-57 lead at the 3:48 mark, Omaha went on a 5-0 run and claimed a 62-61 lead on a Killian 3-pointer with 90 seconds remaining.
- Upstate led 65-64 thanks to a Williams layup with 33 seconds left.
- After Walter missed a layup, Vaccher grabbed the offensive rebound and was fouled as her shot went in with 11.4 seconds to play. Vaccher made the free throw for a 67-65 Omaha lead.
- On the ensuing Upstate possession, Delva was fouled but made the second of two free throw attempts. The Spartans fouled Vidal following an Omaha timeout as she made both free throws for a 69-66 advantage. Upstate was unable to get a shot off on its final possession.
- The Spartans travel to Gardner-Webb on Tuesday for an 11 a.m. Education Day contest.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).