Rock Hill, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's soccer team opened a three-match road trip on Wednesday evening with a 4-0 defeat to the Winthrop Eagles in a non-conference contest at Eagle Field.
Upstate falls to 2-4 on the season while Winthrop improves to 2-2-1 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a 16-11 advantage over the Eagles in shots including an 8-6 mark in attempts on net.
- Upstate also led 9-1 in corner kicks.
- Cam Philpot attempted a team-high four shots for the Spartans while Jaedon Williamson added three. Philpot and Jón Veigar Kristjánsson each took two shots on goal.
- Rasmus Arousell scored two goals to lead Winthrop offensively, and also received goals from Leif Estevez and Max Hasenstab.
- Arousell tallied a team-leading four shots including three on goal.
- Upstate goalie CJ Cluck grabbed two saves.
- For the Eagles, goalie Kenneth Perkinson totaled eight saves.
- Arousell netted his first goal of the match in the 44th minute to give the Winthrop a 1-0 lead. The ball was crossed just outside the six-yard box and deflected off a player. Arousell headed the deflection past Cluck far side. (USC Upstate 0, Winthrop 1)
- Hasenstab made it 2-0 for the Eagles in the 57th minute when Nil Vinyals beat a defender and placed his pass in front of Hasenstab for the touch shot. (USC Upstate 0, Winthrop 2)
- Winthrop extended its lead to 3-0 in the 63rd minute on Estevez's goal. The ball was played wide to Hasenstab by Jacob Jacobsen allowing him to place the ball back post and Estevez scored on the one-timer. (USC Upstate 0, Winthrop 3)
- Arousell put the score at 4-0 for the Eagles in the 85th minute off an assist from Joey Soeder. Soeder laid his pass off to Arousell and he scored into the top-right corner of the net. (USC Upstate 0, Winthrop 4)
- The Spartans continue their road trip on Saturday evening at 7 p.m. against High Point.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).