Athens, Ga. – Jordan Warnock recorded rounds of 75 and 73 for a combined score of 148 to lead the USC Upstate men's golf team on Monday with a top-25 performance as the Spartans competed at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships from the par 72, 6917-yard Athens Country Club.
USC Upstate had rounds of 311 and 303 to finish in a tie for 12th place with Western Carolina at 614.
Arkansas won the Southern Intercollegiate Championships by 17 strokes with scores of 285 and 282 for a total of 567. The individual leaderboard featured a tie for first place between Alvaro Ortiz and Luis Garza of Arkansas at 3-under 141.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Southern Intercollegiate Championship field featured six teams ranked in the top-100 of the latest Golfstat ranking in Arkansas (No. 18), Florida State (No. 19), Kennesaw State (No. 57), Iowa (No. 59), Georgia (No. 62) and Lipscomb (No. 76).
- Warnock was the top individual performer for the Spartans leading the team in par 3 scoring (+1, 3.13 stroke average), par 5 scoring (-4, 4.50 stroke average), pars (20) and birdies (6).
- Reid Bedell finished two strokes back of Warnock in a tie for 24th place at 150 (77-73).
- Bedell led the team in par 4 scoring with a 4.25 stroke average and contributed a 2-under, 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Warnock and Bedell collected one eagle each on the day.
- Matt Carter placed in a tie for 57th place at 156 (77-79) and Hunter Fry tied for 73rd at 160 (82-78).
- Sam Merrell rounded out the individual standings for USC Upstate in 89th position at 175 (89-86).
- Fry tallied a 1-under, 4.88 stroke average in par 5 scoring while Carter added a 5.13 stroke average.
- Bedell concluded the tournament with five birdies while Carter carded four, Merrell three and Fry two.
- The Spartans compiled a 3.43 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.54 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 2-under, 4.95 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate also had 85 pars and 20 birdies over 36 holes.
- The Spartans finished the Southern Intercollegiate Championships third with two eagles.
- USC Upstate combined to play the final hole of each round at a combined 9-under par highlighted by eagles from Bedell (first round) and Warnock (second round).
- 1st Arkansas 285-282=567
- T-2nd Kennesaw State 291-293=584
- T-2nd Georgia 298-286=584
- 4th Lipscomb 295-293=588
- 5th Florida State 296-296=592
- 6th Georgia (B) 298-297=595
- 7th Chattanooga 304-298=602
- 8th Iowa 300-303=603
- 9th Francis Marion 306-301=607
- 10th Gardner-Webb 306-303=609
- 11th Wofford 303-307=610
- T-12th USC Upstate 311-303=614
- T-12th Western Carolina 301-313=614
- 14th High Point 312-303=615
- 15th Charleston Southern 321-303=624
- T-16th Nicholls State 319-321=640
- T-16th Savannah State 320-320=640
- 18th Youngstown State 322-320=642
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-20th Jordan Warnock 75-73=148
- T-24th Reid Bedell 77-73=150
- T-57th Matt Carter 77-79=156
- T-73rd Hunter Fry 82-78=160
- 89th Sam Merrell 89-86=175
- The Spartans are back on the course this weekend, March 17-18, for the Mission Inn Spectacular in Howey in the Hills, Fla.
Follow USC Upstate men's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).