Fort Myers, Fla. – Avery Diggs scored a career-high 12 points to lead three Spartans in double-figures scoring as the USC Upstate men's basketball team dropped a 75-58 decision in conference play to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles on Thursday evening at Alico Arena.
Upstate falls to 5-14 on the season and 0-2 in the ASUN while Florida Gulf Coast improves to 11-8 overall and 2-0 in league play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Diggs made his fifth start of the season and finished the game shooting 5-of-7 from the field and made both free throw attempts for a career-best 12 points.
- Jure Span made three 3-pointers to contribute 11 points while Malik Moore posted 10 on 4-of-8 shooting.
- Span also dished out five assists and Ramel Thompkins led the Spartans defensively with eight rebounds.
- The Eagles had three players score at least 10 points with Zach Johnson scoring a game-high 17.
- Dinero Mercurius added 13 points and Ricky Doyle contributed 11.
- Brandon Goodwin led all players with nine rebounds and Johnson had six assists.
- Upstate finished the game shooting 33.3 percent (22-of-66) overall and made eight 3-pointers.
- The Spartans held a 12-6 advantage in second chance points and also compiled 22 points in the paint, 16 bench points and nine fast break points.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- After falling behind 4-0 to start the game, Upstate scored seven consecutive points to take a 7-4 lead with 16:53 remaining on a jumper by Mike Cunningham. Moore added a 3-pointer and Diggs a layup during the run.
- Florida Gulf Coast came back to tie the game at 7-7 just over two minutes later on a free throw by Goodwin.
- The Eagles would go on a 10-0 run that lasted until the 10:20 mark and lead 14-7.
- Span ended FGCU's run the following possession with his 3-pointer to put the score at 14-10 with 10:07 left.
- Span later cut the Spartans deficit down to 17-13 with 7:48 to go after knocking down a 3-pointer.
- Florida Gulf Coast then outscored Upstate 14-0 over the next three minutes to hold a 31-13 advantage.
- Diggs recorded four straight points for the Spartans to make the score 34-17 with 2:47 remaining.
- RaySean Scott Jr. gave the Eagles a 38-17 lead with 1:12 left and FGCU led by that score at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Upstate stayed within a 21-point margin over the first four minutes of the second half before Thompkins made it a 46-26 contest at the 16:23 mark with his free throw.
- The Spartans got as close as 18 points three times over a four-minute stretch with the last coming at 10:19 when a 3-pointer by Cunningham put the score at 56-38.
- The Eagles followed with a 15-4 run over nearly a six-minute run and took their largest lead of the game at 71-42 with 4:34 remaining.
- Moore and Thomas Booker cut the lead down to 25 points twice after scoring four consecutive points as Upstate trailed 75-50 with 2:10 left.
- The Spartans held Florida Gulf Coast scoreless over the final 2:17 of the game.
- Upstate finished the contest on a 10-0 run with Booker scoring eight of those points including the final six on 3-pointers.
- Booker's last 3-pointer with seven seconds remaining put the final score at 75-58.
- The Spartans conclude their three-game road trip to open ASUN play on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. against Stetson.
Follow Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).