Manhattan, Kan. – Malik Moore scored a team-high 16 points, while Carson Smith added a career-high 11, as the USC Upstate men's basketball team continued its road trip on Tuesday evening with an 86-49 loss to the Kansas State Wildcats at Bramlage Coliseum.
Upstate falls to 3-8 on the season while Kansas State improves to 8-1 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore finished the game shooting 5-of-12 from the field, including three 3-pointers, to lead the Spartans offensively with 16 points.
- Smith came off the bench and connected on all five of his field goal attempts and set a new career-high in scoring at Upstate for the second straight game with 11 points.
- Jure Span added seven points and five assists.
- Ramel Thompkins led the Spartans on the defensive side with six rebounds.
- Kamau Stokes was one of three players to score in double-figures for the Wildcats after finishing with a game-high 17 points.
- Barry Brown added 15 points and Dean Wade contributed 13 points and seven rebounds.
- Upstate finished the game shooting 36.5 percent (19-of-52) from the field.
- The Spartans ended the game with 17 bench points, 16 points in the paint and 12 points off turnovers.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Kansas State opened the game scoring 14 straight points as part of a 24-2 run and led by 22 with 13:14 remaining.
- Upstate would score 10 of the next 13 points and cut its deficit down to 27-12 at the 8:30 mark when Moore connected on a 3-pointer.
- The Spartans got as close as 20 points five times the rest of the half beginning at 32-12 with 7:13 left.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 23 points three times over the final four minutes of the half.
- Span put the score at 40-20 with 2:07 to go on his 3-pointer but Diarra Cartier answered with a 3-point play and gave Kansas State a 43-20 lead.
- Moore's triple with 49 seconds remaining made the score 43-23 heading into halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Wildcats opened the second half scoring the first six points before Upstate answered with a Moore jumper, a 3-pointer by Mike Cunningham and Avery Diggs layup to trim the lead down to 49-30 less than two minutes into the period.
- The Spartans stayed at a 21-point margin over the next two minutes before Span's steal and dunk made the score 53-34 with 16:13 left.
- Deion Holmes kept Upstate within 20 points at the 13:51 mark when his 3-pointer shortened Kansas State's advantage to 57-37.
- The Wildcats responded with seven straight points by Mawdo Sallah to extend their lead to 64-37 with 11:54 remaining.
- Kansas State outscored the Spartans 10-5 over the next four minutes and took a 32 point lead, 74-42, with 7:16 to go.
- Smith scored the next seven points for Upstate and achieved his new career-high in scoring with 3:47 left after connecting on a layup to put the score at 76-49.
- The Wildcats recorded the final 10 points of the game to make the final score 86-49.
- The Spartans head west to Denver, Colo. on Saturday, Dec. 9 for a 3 p.m. EST contest against Denver.
Follow Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).