Spartanburg, S.C. – For the second straight game, Malik Moore led four players in double-figures as the USC Upstate men's basketball team earned the first victory of the Kyle Perry era after defeating the Allen Yellow Jackets 85-66 on Sunday afternoon inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
Upstate evens its record at 1-1 on the season while Allen falls to 3-1 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The Spartans had four players that finished in double-figures scoring led by Moore with 18 points while adding eight rebounds.
- Jure Span fell two points shy of tying his career-high after scoring 17 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field including 3-for-4 behind the 3-point line.
- Deion Holmes came off the bench to score 13 points on five made field goals including three 3-pointers.
- Mike Cunningham added 12 points and dished out three assists along with Moore.
- Ramel Thompkins just missed on his second consecutive double-double to start the season on seven points and a game-high 12 rebounds.
- Quincy Washington and Brandon Moore each registered 21 points and seven points to lead the Yellow Jackets on both sides of the ball.
- Upstate finished the game shooting 47.8 percent (33-of-69) from the field and held a 46-29 advantage in rebounding.
- The Spartans also led 34-24 in points in the paint, 24-9 in points off turnovers, 21-9 in second chance points, 8-0 in fast break points and 24-13 in bench points.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The opening 4:32 saw one lead change and five ties before Upstate pulled ahead 13-11 on a Cunningham jumper with 15:10 to go.
- After Dhonte Ford made the first of two free throw attempts to trim the Spartans lead to 16-12, Upstate received 3-pointers from Holmes and Span to extend its lead out to 22-12 at the 12:02 mark.
- Moore's jumper brought Allen within three points, 25-22, with 7:57 left before a Holmes layup and Thompkins 3-pointer gave the Spartans a 30-22 edge with 6:26 remaining.
- The Yellow Jackets pulled to within three points at 30-27 following a made free throw by Washington at the 4:06 mark.
- Upstate outscored Allen 9-2 over the final 3:38 and held a 39-29 halftime advantage.
- Moore scored 13 of his 18 points in the opening half.
- The Spartans posted a 45.2 percent (14-of-31) shooting mark in the first half.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Upstate pushed its advantage out to 13 points to begin the second half when Carson Smith's jumper gave it a 47-34 lead just over three minutes into the period.
- The Yellow Jackets would get as close as seven points two minutes later when Washington and Moore combined for six straight points to cut the Spartans lead to 47-40.
- The Spartans followed with four 3-pointers as part of a 14-7 run, covering a stretch of 3:06, to push their lead to 61-47 with 10:52 to go capped by a jumper from Smith.
- Allen would cut its deficit down to eight points three times over the next 3:51 with the last coming at 69-61 with seven minutes remaining on a pair of free throws from Washington.
- Upstate held the Yellow Jackets to just five points over the final 6:36 of the contest.
- The Spartans outscored Allen 18-5 and took a game-high 19 point lead twice with the first coming at 82-63 at the 2:06 mark after Pat Welch connected on a field goal.
- Span's 3-pointer with 31 seconds remaining put the final score at 85-66.
- Span made four of his five goal attempts in the second half while Thompkins grabbed seven rebounds.
- Upstate hits the road for the second time this season when it travels to Athens, Ga. on Tuesday, Nov. 14 for a 7 p.m. contest against the Georgia Bulldogs.
Follow Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).