Spartanburg, S.C. – Blake Whitney recorded his second career complete game while Mason Stewart drove in the go-ahead run in the seventh inning as USC Upstate defeated Lipscomb 2-0 on Sunday afternoon at Ken Dugan Field.
USC Upstate improves to 22-24-1 overall and 5-10 in the ASUN Conference while Lipscomb drops to 18-24 and 6-9.
- Top 7th – Russell Schwertfeger opened the inning with a single and advanced to second on a balk. After a groundout moved Schwertfeger to third, Stewart drove home Schwertfeger for the game's first run.
- Top 9th – Jake Bourke reached on a single with one out. Following a flyout, Bourke advanced to second on a Chris Rodriguez single. Bourke scored on an Austin Morgan base hit.
- Whitney's first career complete game came against Lipscomb on April 18, 2015. In that game, Whitney allowed one unearned run in a 3-0 loss at Harley Park.
- Whitney improved his record to 5-1 after scattering three hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in 9.0 innings.
- Alex Dorso (3-2) took the loss, allowing one run on one hit in 0.1 innings.
- Stewart went 2-for-4 with a single, double and RBI.
- Morgan went 2-for-5 with a single, double and RBI.
- Bourke went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Schwertfeger, Rodriguez, Kyle Gensler and Charlie Carpenter each had a hit for the Spartans.
- Maddux Houghton led the Bisons with a single and double. Jake Perry also had a single.
- USC Upstate left nine runners on base while Lipscomb stranded seven baserunners.
- The teams were a combined 2-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- USC Upstate returns to action on Wednesday, May 9 as the Spartans host Wofford. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).