Spartanburg, S.C. - Charlie Carpenter hit a go-ahead two-run home run in the sixth inning as USC Upstate held off a ninth inning comeback by Florida Gulf Coast for a 7-6 win in ASUN Conference action at Harley Park on Friday night.
USC Upstate improves to 21-20-1 overall and 4-6 in league play while Florida Gulf Coast drops to 25-11 and 3-4.
- Bottom 1st – Carpenter was hit by a pitch with two outs and advanced to second on a Kyle Gensler single. Carpenter scored on a Jake Bourke single to get USC Upstate on the board. The Spartans added a run on a bases-loaded walk.
- Top 2nd – Alex Brait led off the inning with a triple and scored on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 3rd – Russell Schwertfeger worked a two-out walk and scored on an Andres Kim single.
- Top 4th – Eli Lovell was hit by a pitch and advanced to third on a Jay Hayes double. After a walk loaded the bases, Lovell was retired at home on a fielder's choice. Hayes scored on a Marc Coffers single but Eric Gonzales was thrown out at home by Schwertfeger to preserve a 3-2 USC Upstate advantage.
- Bottom 4th – Pat Raiff reached on a two-out single and advanced to third on an errant pickoff throw before scoring on a Carpenter single.
- Top 5th – Kohl Gilmore led off the inning with a home run.
- Top 6th – The Eagles tied the game at 5 on a two-run home run by Marc Coffers.
- Bottom 6th – Toran Shahidi was hit by a pitch with one out. Following a strikeout, Carpenter hit his fourth home run of the season, a deep blast to left field, for a 6-5 USC Upstate lead.
- Bottom 7th – Bourke opened the inning with a single and advanced to second on a Schwertfeger walk. After a sacrifice bunt advanced the runners into scoring position, the Eagles elected to walk Will Hardigree. Bourke scored on a fielder's choice.
- Top 9th – Brait opened the inning with a single and advanced to second on a Lovell single. A sacrifice bunt advanced the runners into scoring position before a walk loaded the bases. Will Wheeler struck out pinch-hitter Jake Smith before a walk to Coffers scored Brait. Wheeler struck out Gage Morey to end the game.
- Carpenter went 3-for-4 as he finished a triple short of the cycle with two runs scored and three RBI.
- Bourke finished 2-for-5 with two singles, a run scored and an RBI.
- Kim went 1-for-2 with a single and two RBI.
- Cofferes and Gilmore each had three hits to lead Florida Gulf Coast.
- Trey Van Der Weide (4-5) recorded the win as he allowed one hit and one walk in 0.2 innings of work.
- Wheeler (2) picked up the save with two walks and two strikeouts in the ninth inning.
- Mario Leon (5-2) took the loss, allowing six runs, five earned, on six hits with four walks and four strikeouts in 5.2 innings.
- USC Upstate and Florida Gulf Coast continue their series tomorrow at 2 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).