Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate senior outfielder Russell Schwertfeger hit a pair of home runs, including a grand slam in the fourth inning, as USC Upstate defeated North Carolina A&T 9-5 in non-conference action on Tuesday evening at Harley Park.
USC Upstate improves to 19-20-1 while North Carolina A&T drops to 19-17.
- Top 2nd – Dawnoven Smith led off the inning with a double, advanced to third on a groundout and scored on a Milton Rivera sacrifice fly.
- Top 4th – The Aggies plated runs on a Jarrett Norman single and a Myles Sowell base hit.
- Bottom 4th – Schwertfeger's grand slam highlighted a six-run inning for USC Upstate. After Schwertfeger hit his grand slam with nobody out, the Spartans added two runs on a Pat Raiff two-run single with two outs.
- Top 6th – North Carolina A&T scored two unearned runs on a Norman single.
- Bottom 6th – The Spartans plated a run on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 7th – Schwertfeger hit his second home run of the game, a solo blast, with two outs.
- Bottom 8th – Austin Morgan reached on an error and scored on an Aggie throwing error.
- Schwertfeger leads the team with five home runs this season.
- Tonight's game was the first time this season that USC Upstate has hit two home runs in one game.
- Schwertfeger went 2-for-5 with two home runs, two runs scored and five RBI.
- Toran Shahidi went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Raiff went 1-for-4 with a single and two RBI.
- Morgan, Jake Bourke and Andres Kim each had a single.
- Norman went 3-for-5 with three singles and three RBI to lead N.C. A&T.
- Smith finished 3-for-5 with two singles, a double and three run scored.
- The Aggies left 10 runners on base while USC Upstate stranded seven.
- Trey Van Der Weide (3-5) earned the win, allowing two unearned runs on one hit with two walks and three strikeouts in 2.0 innings.
- Will Wheeler (1) recorded his first save as he pitched two scoreless innings with one walk, two hits and two strikeouts.
- Wheeler struck out AJ Hunt to get out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth.
- Ethan Chavis (1-4) took the loss, allowing four runs on three hits with three walks and a strikeout in 3.0 innings.
- USC Upstate travels to Winthrop tomorrow night at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).