Asheville, N.C. – USC Upstate earned a season sweep of UNC Asheville on Tuesday evening as the Spartans defeated the Bulldogs 10-3 at Greenwood Baseball Field.
USC Upstate improves to 16-18-1 while UNC Asheville falls to 9-23.
- Top 2nd – Mason Stewart reached on a one-out single and advanced to second on a groundout. Stewart moved up to third on a Kyle Gensler base hit, with both Stewart and Gensler scoring on a Pat Raiff triple. Raiff would score on a Charlie Carpenter single for a 3-0 USC Upstate lead.
- Top 3rd – Toran Shahidi doubled with one out and scored on a Will Hardigree single. Hardigree scored on a Chris Rodriguez base hit.
- Bottom 4th – UNC Asheville got on the board thanks to a Brandon Lankford two-out double.
- Top 5th – Shahidi led off the inning with his first home run of the season. The Spartans added runs on a passed ball, a groundout and a sacrifice fly for a 9-1 lead.
- Bottom 6th – The Bulldogs added runs on a Lankford double and a groundout.
- Top 9th – Russell Schwertfeger led off the inning with a double, advanced to third on a flyout and scored on a sacrifice fly.
- Shahidi finished a triple short of the cycle as he went 3-for-5 with a single, double, home run, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Hardigree went 2-for-4 with two singles, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Gensler and Carpenter each went 2-for-5 with two singles and an RBI.
- Raiff drove in a game-high three runs as he finished 1-for-3 with a triple and sacrifice fly.
- Rodriguez went 1-for-3 with a single, run scored and RBI.
- Lankford went 3-for-4 with a single, two doubles and two RBI to lead UNC Asheville.
- Jordan Marks (2-4) earned the win as he struck out three batters while allowing one hit and one walk in 2.0 scoreless innings.
- Danny Wilson (1-2) took the loss as he allowed three runs on six hits with a walk and a strikeout in 2.0 innings.
- USC Upstate hosts Gardner-Webb on Wednesday at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).