Spartanburg, S.C. - USC Upstate and Penn split a doubleheader at Harley Park on Saturday afternoon. The Spartans claimed a 7-2 win in the opener thanks to a six-run eighth inning while the Quakers avoided the sweep with a 7-5 win in the second game.
USC Upstate is 8-7-1 while Penn is 2-9.
Game 1: USC Upstate 7, Penn 2
- Top 1st – Chris Adams led off the game with a single and advanced to third on an Eduardo Malinowski single. Adams was retired in a rundown on a fielder's choice as Malinowski advanced to third. Malinowski scored on a groundout to get the Quakers on the board.
- Top 5th – Matt Tola led off the inning with a single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Tola scored on a Malinowski single.
- Bottom 7th – Toran Shahidi was hit by a pitch to start the inning and scored USC Upstate's first run of the game on a groundout.
- Bottom 8th – Andres Kim opened the inning with a single before being retired at second on a fielder's choice. Charlie Carpenter followed with a single that sent Mason Stewart to third. Kyle Gensler was the first of three consecutive Spartan hitters to be hit by a pitch as he loaded the bases. The Spartans scored two runs on hit batters with the bases loaded before Russell Schwertfeger cleared the bases with a triple for a 6-2 USC Upstate lead. Schwertfeger scored the final run of the game on a wild pitch.
- Schwertfeger went 2-for-4 with a single, triple, run scored and three RBI.
- Kim, Stewart, Carpenter, Drake Harris and Pat Raiff each had one hit.
- Adams and Malinowski each went 2-for-4 to lead Penn.
- Both teams finished with seven hits.
- Trey Van Der Weide (1-2) earned the win as he struck out two batters in 2.0 scoreless innings.
- Robby Ceruulle (0-1) took the loss, allowing one run on one hit without recording an out.
Game 2: Penn 7, USC Upstate 5
- Top 1st – Eduardo Malinowski reached on a bunt single and advanced to second as a result of an Upstate error. After reaching third on a groundout, Malinowski scored on a Matt McGeagh single.
- Bottom 1st – Andres Kim opened the game with a single and scored on a Will Hardigree sacrifice fly. The Spartans took a 2-1 lead on Austin Morgan's two-out single.
- Top 2nd – Malinowski's two-run double gave the Quakers a 3-2 lead.
- Top 3rd – Penn claimed a 4-2 lead on a Tommy Pellis single that scored Brendan Bean.
- Bottom 5th – Kim reached on a leadoff single and advanced to second on a Mason Stewart infield single. Kim and Stewart scored on a Charlie Carpenter triple. Carpenter gave the Spartans a 5-4 lead as he scored on a Kyle Gensler single.
- Top 6th – Chris Adams reached on a single with one out and tied the game on a Sean Phelen double. Phelen scored the go-ahead run on a McGeagh double.
- Kim finished 3-for-5 with three singles and two runs scored to lead the Spartan offense.
- Carpenter went 2-for-3 with a single, triple, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Gensler went 2-for-4 with two singles and an RBI.
- McGeagh and Bean each had three hits to lead Penn.
- Chris Rabasco (1-0) earned the win as he allowed three runs on four hits in 1.0 innings.
- Caleb Matthews (0-1) took the loss after he gave up one run on two hits in 0.1 innings.
- Gabe Kleiman (1) picked up the save as he gave up one hit with a strikeout in 2.0 innings.
- USC Upstate travels to Wofford on Wednesday at 6 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).