Spartanburg, S.C. – Reigning ASUN Conference Player of the Week Charlie Carpenter had a game-high three hits, including the go-ahead single in the sixth inning, as USC Upstate scored five unanswered runs in a 5-3 win over Penn on Friday afternoon at Harley Park.
USC Upstate improves to 7-6-1 while Penn drops to 1-8.
- Top 1st – Chris Adams opened the game with a double and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. Adams scored on Sean Phelan's base hit, with Phelan scoring on a Brendan Bean double.
- Top 3rd- Eduardo Malinowski scored on a Matt McGeagh single to give Penn a 3-0 lead.
- Bottom 4th – Carpenter reached on a one-out single and advanced to second on a Toran Shahidi single. Carpenter scored on Will Hardigree's double, with Shahidi and Hardigree scoring on a Russell Schwertfeger two-run single to tie the game.
- Bottom 5th – Andres Kim reached on a one-out base hit and advanced into scoring position as a result of a passed ball. Kim reached third on a groundout before giving the Spartans the go-ahead run on a Carpenter single.
- Bottom 6th -Schwertfeger opened the inning with a walk and scored on a wild pitch for the final run of the game.
- Carpenter went 3-for-4 with two singles, a double, run scored and RBI.
- Hardigree and Kyle Gensler each went 1-for-4 with a double.
- Kim, Shahidi, Schwertfeger, Mason Stewart and Drake Harris each had a single.
- Phelan led the Quakers with two hits.
- Grant Hoppock (3-1) earned the win as he allowed on hit with three walks in 3.0 innings of relief.
- Sean Hupp (3) earned the save with a strikeout in a spotless ninth inning.
- Christian Scafidi (0-2) took the loss as he allowed five runs, four earned, on 10 hits with a walk and a strikeout in 5.1 innings.
- Penn and USC Upstate will play a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).