Clinton, S.C. – Drake Harris' single with two outs in the 10th inning broke a 5-5 tie as the USC Upstate Spartans defeated Presbyterian College 6-5 on Wednesday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex.
Upstate improves to 19-25 while Presbyterian College is 24-24.
- Bottom 2nd – Connor Slagill led off the inning with a home run.
- Top 3rd – Pat Raiff led off the inning with a single with a Presbyterian error and a Devon Ortiz base hit loading the bases. The Spartans plated a run on a sacrifice fly and looked to take the lead on a Hunter Gilbert base hit but Presbyterian College right fielder Nick Guimbarda threw out Jake Bourke at home to end the inning.
- Top 4th – Raiff hit his first home run of the season, a three-run blast to right field, for a 4-1 Upstate lead.
- Bottom 4th – The Blue Hose plated a run on a sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 5th – Slagill's two-out single brought the Blue Hose within a run.
- Top 6th – Jordan Miller scored on a Bourke sacrifice fly for a 5-3 Spartan lead.
- Bottom 7th – Slagill tied the game with a two-run single.
- Top 10th – J.J. Shimko reached on a leadoff walk but was retired on a Gilbert fielder's choice. Gilbert advanced to third on a Russell Schwertfeger single and scored on Harris' base hit to left field with two outs.
- Both of Upstate's wins over Presbyterian College this season came in extra innings. The Spartans claimed a 5-4 win at Harley Park on March 22.
- Harris went 3-for-4 with three singles to lead the Spartans.
- Raiff's home run was his first in 33 games at Upstate. He went 2-for-4 with a single, home run, two runs scored and three RBI.
- Ortiz, Gilbert, Schwertfeger and Brett Hawkins each had a hit.
- Slagill went 3-for-4 with two singles, a home run and four RBI to lead the Blue Hose.
- Will Wheeler (1-1) earned his first collegiate win with 1.1 scoreless innings. Wheeler entered the game in the ninth inning with runners at first and second and no outs but got out of the inning unscathed thanks to a fielder's choice and a pair of flyouts.
- Conner Campbell (2) picked up the save with 0.2 inning of scoreless relief.
- Ryan Hedrick (2-3) took the loss, allowing one run on two hits with a walk and two strikeouts in 1.0 inning.
- Presbyterian College left the bases loaded in the first and eighth innings. The Blue Hose left 15 runners on base while Upstate stranded eight runners.
- Upstate returns to ASUN Conference play on Friday, welcoming North Florida to Harley Park for a 6 p.m. contest.