Spartanburg, S.C. - The Stetson Hatters swept a baseball doubleheader against USC Upstate on Saturday, defeating the Spartans 11-0 in the first game and holding on for a 6-4 win in game two.
Stetson improves to 18-24 overall and 8-4 in ASUN Conference play while Upstate drops to 18-25 and 3-9.
Game One – Stetson 11, Upstate 0 (8 innings)
- Top 1st- A two-run home run by Mike Spooner gave Stetson a 2-0 lead.
- Top 3rd – The Hatters plated three runs in the inning on a single by Spooner, a Jorge Arenas double, and a Kirk Sidwell single to lead 5-0.
- Top 5th – The Hatters scored three runs in the inning on a two-run double by Brooks Wilson and a Colton Lightner double.
- Top 8th – Stetson scored three runs in an inning for the third time in the game thanks to a Jacob Koos double and two groundouts.
- Russell Schwertfeger had two hits to lead the Spartan offense.
- Charlie Carpenter, Brett Hawkins, J.J. Shimko and Pat Raiff each had a hit.
- Spooner went 2-for-3 with a single, home run, four RBI and three runs scored.
- Arenas, Koos and Austin Hale each had two hits.
- Jack Perkins (4-4) earned the win, scattering six hits over 7.0 shutout innings.
- Kevin Hickey (3-5) took the loss, allowing eight runs on nine hits with two walks and two strikeouts in 4.2 innings.
Game Two – Stetson 6, Upstate 4
- Top 1st – Austin Hale and Jack Gonzalez each hit solo home runs for a 2-0 Hatter lead.
- Bottom 3rd – Upstate got on the board as J.J. Shimko scored on a Brendan Brundage groundout.
- Top 6th – Mike Spooner led off the inning with a home run.
- Top 8th – Stetson scored runs on a Brooks Wilson two-run single and on a bases-loaded walk.
- Bottom 8th – Jordan Miller hit a two-run home run while Devon Ortiz scored on a Brett Hawkins single to bring the Spartans within a pair of runs.
- Upstate left 14 runners on base while Stetson stranded seven. The Spartans left the bases loaded in the first inning and left two on in the second, fifth, eighth and ninth innings.
- Ortiz and Dylan Wilkinson each had three hits to lead the Spartan offense.
- Miller and Hunter Gilbert each had two hits.
- Hale, Spooner and Gonzalez each had three hits for Stetson.
- The Spartans outhit Stetson 14-12.
- Logan Gilbert (7-0) claimed the win, allowing one run on nine hits with two walks and five strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
- Tyler Keller (1) recorded the save as he induced a flyout to end the game.
- Blake Whitney (5-5) took the loss after he allowed three runs on eight hits with nine strikeouts in 6.2 innings.
- Upstate is off for exams until traveling to Presbyterian on May 3 at 3 p.m.