Mar 31, 2017
Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team lost its ASUN opener to Lipscomb 19-4 at Harley Park on Friday night.
Lipscomb improves to 15-10 and 1-0 while Upstate falls to 13-16 and 0-1.
- Top 1st – The Bisons got on the board on a Jake Perry sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 2nd – Russell Schwertfeger reached on a single with one out and advanced to second on a walk to Drake Harris. Schwertfeger tied the game on a Jake Bourke single while a Pat Raiff groundout scored Harris to give Upstate a 2-1 lead.
- Top 3rd – Blake Thomas' triple scored Zeke Dodson to even the score at 2.
- Top 4th – Lipscomb plated four runs, two of which scored on a Jake Perry triple, to take a 6-2 lead.
- Top 5th – Lipscomb scored five runs in the inning with two runs scoring on a Dodson double.
- Top 6th – The Bisons plated six runs on three hits with three runs scoring on either a bases-loaded walk or a hit batter.
- Top 8th – Perry hit a solo home run with another run scoring on a Tyler Bethune double.
- Bottom 8th – J.J. Shimko scored on a Schwertfeger double.
- Top 9th – The Bisons added two runs on a Thomas single.
- Bottom 9th – Hunter Gilbert reached on a double and scored on a sacrifice fly.
- Brett Hawkins went 3-for-5 with three singles.
- Schwertfeger went 2-for-4 with two singles and an RBI.
- Dodson and Perry each drove in four runs.
- Brady Puckett (4-2) earned the win, allowing two runs on seven hits in six innings.
- Adam Miller (1) recorded the save after allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits in three innings.
- Brian Boocock (1-3) took the loss after allowing four runs on three hits in 0.2 inning.
- The series continues tomorrow at 2 p.m.