Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team was swept in a doubleheader at Harley Park on Saturday, dropping the first game 10-7 before losing the nightcap 11-3.
Rutgers improves to 9-14 while Upstate drops to 12-14.
Game One – Rutgers 10, Upstate 7
- Top 1st – Mike Carter scored on a groundout.
- Bottom 1st – Devon Ortiz led off with a double and scored on a J.J. Shimko sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 3rd – Hunter Gilbert drove home two runs with a single followed by a Russell Schwertfeger RBI single.
- Top 6th – The Scarlet Knights scored a run on a fielder's choice followed by a Carmen Sclafani three-run home run to claim a 5-4 lead.
- Bottom 7th – Russell Schwertfeger cleared the bases with a three-run triple to give Upstate a 7-5 lead.
- Top 8th – Mike Martinez tied the game with a two-run home run. Kevin Welsh's single brought home the go-ahead run as the Scarlet Knights added runs on a single and a sacrifice fly.
- Rutgers outhit Upstate 14-13.
- Shimko, Schwertfeger, Brendan Brundage, Charlie Carpenter and Hunter Gilbert each had two hits for the Spartans.
- Schwertfeger drove in a game-high four runs.
- Carter went 3-for-5 with two singles and a double to lead Rutgers.
- Ryan Wares (1-0) earned the win, allowing one run on two hits with two strikeouts in 1.1 innings.
- Max Herrmann (3) picked up the save with two scoreless innings.
- Bryan Hathaway (1-1) took the loss, allowing three runs on three hits in 1.1 innings.
Game Two – Rutgers 11, Upstate 3
- Top 1st – Jawuan Harris led off the game with a home run. Rutgers would add five unearned runs in the inning thanks to an Upstate error, a Carmen Sclafani triple and a Kevin Welsh double to lead 6-0.
- Top 2nd – Rutgers scored two runs in the inning thanks to a Milo Freeman single and a Mike Martinez single.
- Top 3rd – Harris hit his second home run of the game to give Rutgers a 9-0 lead.
- Top 5th – Harris hit a two-run home run, his third of the game, for an 11-0 Scarlet Knights lead.
- Bottom 5th – Upstate got on the board as Brett Hawkins scored on a J.J. Shimko double.
- Bottom 9th – Upstate scored two runs on two Rutgers wild pitches.
- Shimko went 2-for-2 with a single, double and RBI.
- Chris Rodriguez (single) and Dylan Wilkinson (double) each recorded their first collegiate hits.
- Hawkins, Brendan Brundage, Charlie Carpenter, Russell Schwertfeger and Drake Harris each had a hit.
- Harris went 3-for-5 with three home runs and four RBI to lead the Rutgers offense.
- Gaby Rosa (3-1) earned the win, allowing one run on five hits with three walks and five strikeouts in 5.0 innings.
- Conner Campbell (1-2) took the loss as he gave up five runs (one earned) on two hits in 0.2 inning.
- Of the 11 runs scored by Rutgers, six runs were earned.
- Upstate faces Charleston Southern in Lexington, S.C. on Tuesday at 6 p.m.