Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team split a doubleheader with Pittsburgh on Saturday at Harley Park. The Spartans dropped the opener 3-1 but defeated the Panthers 9-5 in the second game for the 700th win in program history.
Pittsburgh is 7-3 while Upstate is 4-8.
Game One – Pittsburgh 3, Upstate 1
- Top 1st – Caleb Parry reached on a leadoff walk and scored on a Frank Maldonado triple. Maldonado scored on a groundout for a 2-0 Panther lead.
- Bottom 1st – Devon Ortiz led off the inning with a single, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on a Charlie Carpenter single.
- Top 9th – P.J. DeMeo led off the inning with a walk and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. DeMeo scored on a Jacob Wright base hit.
- Each team finished with four hits.
- J.J. Shimko went 1-for-4 with a double while Jake Bourke went 1-for-3 with a triple.
- Pittsburgh left 10 runners on base while the Spartans stranded three.
- Matt Pidich (2-0) earned the win, allowing one run on four hits with a walk and four strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
- Isaac Mattson (2) recorded the save after he struck out three batters in 2.0 innings.
- Kevin Hickey (1-2) took the loss after allowing two runs on two hits with five walks and four strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
Game Two – Upstate 9, Pittsburgh 5
- Bottom 1st – Upstate claimed a 2-0 lead with a pair of runs in the first inning. Hunter Gilbert and Devon Ortiz led off the inning with walks. Gilbert scored from second base on a wild pitch as the Pittsburgh catcher was unable to locate the ball. Ortiz scored on a J.J. Shimko double.
- Top 2nd – Nick Banman led off the inning with a double and scored on a fielder's choice.
- Top 3rd – Frank Maldonado hit a solo home run with two outs to tie the game at 2.
- Bottom 3rd- Upstate regained the lead with four runs in the inning. Ortiz opened the frame with a single before Charlie Carpenter was hit by a pitch. Shimko hit his second double in as many at-bats to score Ortiz and Carpenter before scoring on a Brendan Brundage triple. Brundage would score on a Pittsburgh error for the final run of the inning.
- Top 4th – P.J. DeMeo hit a solo home run with two outs.
- Top 5th – Jacob Wright reached on a single with one out and scored on a Caleb Parry double.
- Bottom 5th – Shimko led off the inning with a double, advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a Brundage single.
- Bottom 6th – Gilbert reached on a Pittsburgh error, advanced to second on a hit batter and reached third on a double play. The Panthers were set to intentionally walk Shimko but the first ball of the walk was a wild pitch that allowed Gilbert to score.
- Top 7th – Nico Popa led off the inning with a single and scored on a Parry double.
- Bottom 8th – Gilbert reached on a one-out double and scored on an Ortiz double.
- The win is the first for Upstate over a current member of the Atlantic Coast Conference. It is Upstate's first win over a Power 5 school since an 8-6 home win over Kentucky on Feb. 17, 2014.
- Shimko went 3-for-4 with three doubles, two runs scored and three RBI.
- Brundage went 3-for-5 with two singles, a triple and two RBI.
- Ortiz went 2-for-3 with a single, double, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Gilbert went 1-for-4 with a double and three runs scored.
- Bourke went 2-for-3 with a single and triple.
- Trey Van Der Weide (2-1) earned the win after allowing one hit with a strikeout in 1.1 innings. Van Der Weide entered the game in the fifth inning with Upstate holding a 6-4 lead and the tying run at-bat.
- Dan Hammer (1-1) took the loss, allowing six runs on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts in 2.1 innings
- Upstate hosts crosstown rival Wofford on Sunday at 4 p.m.