Mar 01, 2017
Charleston, S.C. – Charleston Southern scored two runs in the seventh inning to defeat USC Upstate 4-3 in a non-conference game Wednesday at CSU Ballpark.
Charleston Southern improves to 5-2 while Upstate falls to 3-6.
- Top 1st – Charlie Carpenter hit his third home run of the season to give Upstate a 1-0 lead.
- Top 4th – Carpenter led off the inning with a single and advanced to second on a J.J. Shimko base hit. Following a sacrifice bunt, Carpenter scored on a Russell Schwertfeger sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 4th – Cole German reached on a double with one out and advanced to third on a groundout before scoring on a Kevin Vesnesky double.
- Top 5th – Jordan Miller reached on a single with one out and scored as a result of a Buccaneer error to give Upstate a 3-1 lead.
- Bottom 5th – Brandon Gragilla hit a solo home run with two outs to bring Charleston Southern within a run.
- Bottom 7th – Nate Blanchard reached on a leadoff single. Blanchard advanced to second on a Jason Miller single and tied the game on a Gragilla single as Miller advanced to third. Miller scored the go-ahead run on a Mike Sconzo sacrifice fly.
- Carpenter went 2-for-3 with a single, home run, run scored and RBI.
- Shimko, Miller, Jake Bourke and Drake Harris each finished with a hit.
- Gragilla and German each had two hits for Charleston Southern.
- Wil Hartsell (1-2) earned the win as he gave up one hit in three scoreless innings.
- Cody Smith (3) pitched a scoreless ninth for the save
- Trey Van Der Weide (1-1) took the loss after allowing two runs on three hits with a walk and two strikeouts in 2.0 innings.
- Upstate returns to Harley Park on Friday, welcoming Wright State for a 4 p.m. contest.